We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in January?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
Weather in January?

Heading to Ambergris Caye January 12th which I thought was part of the dry season but it shows rain almost every day. Is this one of those climates to expect a morning shower and clear the rest of the day or should we expect quite a bit of rain?

Thanks!

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in January?

January isn't really a dry season -- it's just not the wet season, so there's almost always some rain in January -- it could fall at any time of the day or night, but generally it's brief showers. The real dry season is more like March to May.

Typically, we get about 100 mm in January. Most of the Januarys I've experienced seemed to be less than that. Last year, I'm sure it was more. This year, it's starting to look like more, and it can rain at any time of the day. Many days have been overcast. Seldom do we get all day downpours.

In other years, it has been as you described (moring shower, then clear for the rest of the day), but this year is not typical.

Edited: 09 January 2014, 23:09
Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
31 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in January?

We where just there over New Years ....we had a bit of everything. Wet mornings , nice afternoons, totally wet days, totally dry days. They appear to be in an unusually wet weather cycle. Yes it's hard to plan things, so be very flexible. Bring ponchos ! You will be glad you did.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in January?

It is unusually wet this year, as it was last year too. It very well might rain a little every day, and hopefully it'll be sunny every day too, like it used to be.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in January?

We have a good sunrise happening this morning that is a good sign. It sure has been a crazy weather year.

Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in January?

Thank's a bunch for your reply! Super excited to come down. One thing I was confused about, shows San Pedro as 5 or 6 miles from Ambergris Caye but the temperature difference is about 10 degrees. Do you know how/why that is???

Thanks!

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in January?

Ambergris Caye is an island. San Pedro is the town on Ambergris Caye. The weather forecast should be the same for both.

...and TG was right. Today is an absolutely gorgeous day! http://sanpedroweather.com/

Edited: 10 January 2014, 17:31
florida
Level Contributor
315 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in January?

Eric, thanks for the post, as we will arrive a day after you!!!

Not crazy about this rain threat, but hey, it's a new adventure for us, and I have raincoats packed. We are excited about seeing as much as possible, meeting locals, a gorgeous island, diving, snorkeling, lobster burritos(lol) and the list goes on!!!!

Enjoy your vaca.

Bondgirl

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in January?

One of our long standing beach bars BC's om the edge of town is closing and the farewell celebrations started yesterday and will run all weekend with live music. Their official last day will be Wed Jan 15th if you want a fun party to go to 22Erik22 and Bondgirl.

Another sunny day so far, here's hoping the two of you have great weather on your trips.

Galveston
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in January?

Could you recommend a good tour guide in Belize? We are coming in on a Carnival cruise on 1/24 and would like a private tour guide instead of the excursions offered by the ship. Would like to go to a nice beach also.

Thank you any help.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
18,050 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in January?

gulf - best to start your own thread as folks may miss your question due to title being about weather.

I am arriving on Thursday and it looks iffy. All the highs of 90's and lows of 70's with sun seem to be gone. Oh well. I get need a little bit of calm water and sunshine so I can enjoy my snorkeling. My husband just got a new snorkel mask with a GoPro attachment so hopefully the lighting and water will cooperate.

Do we really need ponchos? I am just bringing my tiny pocket umbrella. We were in Kauai in March last year and had similar weather.

tacogirl - will keep that in mind. Thanks for the heads up. Any other rainy day thoughts? I might think about splurging on a day trip to the mainland for Lamanai.

Edited: 11 January 2014, 18:37