We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Necessary to book ferry from Belize to San Pedro in advance?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Necessary to book ferry from Belize to San Pedro in advance?

My fiance and I will be headed to Ambergris Caye for our honeymoon in June. We are thinking of taking the water ferry as we think it could be fun...is it necessary to book the ferry's in advance? And what ferry company is the best, most reliable and cheapest?

Thanks

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
845 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Necessary to book ferry from Belize to San Pedro in advance?

It depends on which water taxi service you are thinking of. There is Tropic Ferry, which goes from International Airport, which you would have to book in advance and there are the water taxi services in town run by two different companies from different locations, which you would not. They run regularly. The last boat is at 5.30pm, so can be a bit tricky to catch if you're on a flight that arrives later in the day. Personally, if I were having a romantic trip, I'd catch the flight from International Airport,which has once in a lifetime views. The water taxi can be fun, but not always, especially when it's very crowded or the water is choppy.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Necessary to book ferry from Belize to San Pedro in advance?

Agree, the flight is more impressive and the ferry can be a bit of a long choppy ride.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
65 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Necessary to book ferry from Belize to San Pedro in advance?

If you do choose to take the regular ferry, you shouldn't need to book in advance. We were there at high season (right before Christmas), arrived at the very last minute before the boat left, and were still able to get on. We took Tropic Ferry on the way back, and there is a long thread on the pros and cons of that.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,097 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Necessary to book ferry from Belize to San Pedro in advance?

I wouldn't book in advance unless the only boat I could possibly make was the last boat of the day.

Belize
Level Contributor
41 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Necessary to book ferry from Belize to San Pedro in advance?

Hi giner0831,

NO, it is not necessary to book water ferry in advance unless you are planning on taking the last boat and you just want to be sure there will be space for you. You can purchase one-way tickets or round-trip tickets at the Water Taxi terminal when you get there. The boats travel to and from the Cayes almost every hour. Id a certain time will not work for you, you can always check the other water taxi, which might have a boat departing another time that will fit your schedule. The most popular water taxis are San Pedro Belize Express and Caye Caulker Water Taxi. The ticket prices are set if I am not mistaken, they almost always have the same price.i.e, BZE$65 (US$32.50) for a rountrip to San Pedro or BZE$45 ($US 22.50) for a round trip to Caye Caulker. Personally, I prefer San Pedro Belize Express. Boat ride is approximately 1 hr 15 mins to San Pedro and about 1 hr to Caye Caulker. Both of their terminals are on the same street in Belize City. Now, if you choose to fly instead, booking in advance isn't necessary either as flights run almost every hour as well. You will, however, want to be there half an hour or at least 15 mins before your flight departs if you are flying locally. Their flight depart from the Belize City Municipal Airport. There are 2 locals flight companies that do runs to San Pedro, Caye Caulker or Placencia peninsula (and almost every destination in BZE). Those are MAYA ISLAND AIR or TROPIC AIR. Cheaper: Maya Island Air.

6. Re: Necessary to book ferry from Belize to San Pedro in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:19