We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
80 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay

Coming for the first time next week. Trying to get an idea of where to stay. We don't want to be too far out of town. Just hubby and I. Like to have a restaurant/bar on sight, on the beach, pool. Looking at Ramon's; Palms and something like that. I see that May 1 starts low season prices drop. Haven't looked at a map yet to see where things are. Any good advise would be great. Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay

Ramon's and the Palms are right next door to each other, virtually on the south edge of downtown. If you stay close to, or, in town, having an on site bar/restaurant really isn't a big deal. You'll find yourselves out and about anyway.

Ramon's does have a very nice stretch of beach. One of the few areas close to town where the sea grass has been cleared and you can walk/wade in and swim.

Other options in town that have restaurants on site would be Sunbreeze, Sunbreeze Suites and the Phoenix.

South of town, Exotic Caye has a bar and serves some sandwiches. Next door Corona del Mar has a bar. They serve food 'in season', not sure when they'll stop. Caribbean Villas has a nice beach bar that serves breakfast and lunch. All three of these are around a mile south of town. There are also a few other restaurant/bars in the neighborhood, as well as a couple of grocery stores.

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
80 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay

Thanks you for the info. I think you are right about no restaurant.. We have narrowed it down to the palms or the Blue tang. Any in put? Do you know if you can here the music from the bar next door?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay

We stayed at Blue Tang on our first visit to San Pedro, more than 10 years ago. It's a nice place. Bathroom was a bit dated, I think they've renovated since then. However, we found we could get a true one bedroom unit for about the same price. I like having a separate bedroom.

If you're talking about bar noise at Blue Tang, I honestly don't know. Back then, the only bar around was Wet Willie's. We were there in the summer, it was not noisy. Never heard a thing. There's another bar across the street these days, they sometimes have music in the afternoons, I doubt there's noise there either.

The pool is small, but nicely landscaped. Nice place to relax.

The Palms have nice condos. We've stayed there too, but, not recently. I like their very large verandas/balconies. Pool is small there as well, and, it's in the back. No ocean views from the pool. However, you're right next door to the very nice beach at Ramon's.

Personally, I'd go with the Palms, simply because I like a separate bedroom. And, I like the beach at Ramon's.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay

We have stayed at the Palms 6 times, and will only stay there if we can get back. The condos are full service, everything you would need. A short, easy walk to town. The separate bedroom is really nice. For a property with only 13 units, the pool is adequate, and they have lounge chairs in the front to stare at the beach. The second and third floor rooms have a fantastic view of the ocean. Great people there, too!

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay

I am curious why you eliminated Ramon's. I too prefer full service hotels. I like an on-site restaurant because I want to be able to have breakfast served or have a late meal without having to leave the property; I rarely use room service, but it. is a nice option. I personally don't see the need for a one bedroom suite for a couple unless you plan to have visitors to your room. I think Ramon's has the best location ( a short walk to everything) and the best beach. I also like that you can walk along the beach a fair distance in either direction.

If you haven't had a chance t see a map yet, hee is a link to a good map: ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/mapdowntowndeta…

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
80 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay

Thanks for all the help. We booked at the Palms. They are having a 4th night free special right now so that helped . We eliminated Ramons, even though it looks nice. It also looks like it is really busy there. We own a hotel with bungalows/casitas and decided we wanted something different then what we see all the time. We go to the nice beach every day here so we won't spend much time laying on the beach, just want to see the ocean from the room. We want to explore lots of the local restaurants also. I will update when we get back how the condo is.

Cairns, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay

Sorry to hijack your post but I am also trying to find a great place to stay. This will be our honeymoon. We've got some specifics we're after. Firstly, we really want a little cabin (called a casita in Belize I'm assuming) right on the beach. No apartments or condos, we want privacy and we'd like to step off the veranda straight onto the beach. We want to be a little close to San Pedro. A bicycle ride away would be good. Now we aren't olympians, a bicycle ride away for us would be 5km max and even that would be pushing it a little! Speaking of bicycle, it would be good if the resort had complimentary bicycle and kayak use. We have looked at Matachica and I would say that it's perfect as far as the accommodation goes but it's too far from town for us. We want the freedom of going into town at the drop of a hat to explore or eat out or just whatever. We've also looked at El Pescador and to be honest, I'm nearly ready to pull the trigger on that place but the villas are just way over the top huge. It's only 2 of us so I thought I'd ask around to see if there might be something better for us to check out. We're planning a couple days diving, some kayaking, snorkeling and of course the honeymoon pampering would be great as well.

Cairns, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay

I forgot to mention we'll be there in July.

colchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay

I have heard Victoria House is great & right on the beach. Anyone stayed there or can give any information please ?

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
869 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay

Victoria House is a beautiful, very well established resort on one of the nicest beaches. It has mature and well tended grounds and great pools. It's a couple of miles south of town and has a very nice restaurant and bar.

Get answers to your questions about San Pedro
Recent Conversations