We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

I will be in San Pedro in July but I would like to know what is the best way to get there from the airport?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,080 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

Which airport in Belize? International or Municipal?

And define "best".

The quickest way is to fly with one of the domestic airlines -- Tropic Air or Maya Island Air. Check their websites for schedules & fares. Both airlines fly from either airport to San Pedro.

The cheaper route is taxi to the water taxi terminal in Belize City, and then water taxi to San Pedro.

What's best for you depends on your priority -- cost, ease or speed.

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
842 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

I'd always opt for the flight. It's absolutely stunning and a great experience.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
612 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

We flew - flights were pretty cheap, very quick and you land right in San Pedro. We thought paying a few extra dollars was worth saving us from the headache and time of taking the ferry.

Amelia Island...
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

We also flew to AC and were happy with the decision. Very short flight vs. a longer water taxi ride, and no guarantee it will be a smooth trip on the water.

Union, New Jersey
Level Contributor
47 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

I agree with everyone else...definitely fly from BZE to SPR. I personally like Tropic Air, I've flown them both in Belize and in Honduras. Its a quick flight, i think it was like 15 minutes give or take. I've taken the boat ride back and forth to the main land a couple of times. Its a good hour ride and the water can be a bit choppy at times.

Houston
Level Contributor
2 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

We took the boat over to San Pedro the first time and have flown the next hundred trips! The boat can be hot and rough and not pleasant and takes about an hour fifteen to hour and a half not counting the taxi to get to the boat. Fly Tropic or Mayan!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

Not to repeat everything that others said, but let me put a twist on this.

You have two choices: fly or boat.

If you fly, you realistically have two choices to get to San Pedro (SPR): from the International Airport (BLZ), or the Belize City Municipal Airport (TZA). It is about twice as much from BLZ as it is from TZA. Most international passengers don’t mind spending the extra 30 USD, because of the hassle of transferring between airports. However, if you have the time, and want to see the highlights of Belize City, I’d highly recommend that you catch a taxi at BLZ, have the driver show you around Belize City, and when you are done drop you off at TZA. Of course, this type of sightseeing is not for everyone -- many people just want to get their hotel ASAP (I don’t always).

As far as taking a boat, you have several choices. You can take a taxi to the docks downtown Belize City. Alternatively, you can have a boat that is going back from mainland with day trippers (e.g., Lamanai) on the Belize River back to San Pedro. Belize River meander around BLZ, and the dock is less than 1 km east of the end of Runway 26.

We flew into SPR from either TZA or BLZ, either is fine, and took a Searious Adventures day-trip boat to BLZ. It worked out great.

Good luck!

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

Another vote on flying. Getting a shorter boat ride in by visiting near by Caye Caulker Island is a great way to go. You can do a Catamaran day trip which includes snorkeling Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley or take the water taxi over.

9. Re: What is the best way to get to San Pedro from Belize airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2015, 05:15