We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to X'Tan and points north?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to X'Tan and points north?

We're staying in the North end of town (at the Phoenix) and looking to rent a golf cart for a couple of days to explore other parts of the island. I've read a lot about X'Tan as a nice beachfront resort but am not clear from some of the posts whether it's possible to drive a golf cart all the way from SP. Thoughts?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,746 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to X'Tan and points north?

most rental companies don't want their carts taken that far north. The road is pretty bad at times, and, is never good. People who live up there travel by boat, either their own or the water taxi.

If it's raining, the road goes beyond not very good, to awful. As in, you will get stuck.

Just take the water taxi up to X'tan Ha and enjoy the beach. There are a couple other resorts within walking distance of there. Then, take the water taxi back when you're ready.

Or, ride bicycles. If you like to ride, it would be a pleasant ride, you can take bikes on the beach, the golf cart has to use the 'road'.

All that said, people do take golf carts far north. It will take much longer than you probably think. It's slow going.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to X'Tan and points north?

Thanks, Jeanh, for the response. Sounds as if the water taxi may be the way to go.

london
Level Contributor
7 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips to X'Tan and points north?

I was there a few weeks back, staying up north and two places wouldn't let us take a golf cart that far. They said it was impossible. I stayed in x'tan (can't recommend it highly enough) and we ended up getting the water taxi all the time. My boyfriend cycled to a nearby convenience store with one of the hotels free bikes and that was two miles along the shore and he said at times it was so rocky and over grown he had to wade through over growth. The main road sounds like it is only suitable for large vehicles and the journey from x'tan into downtown is about 7 miles. You can get slightly cheaper rates if you buy a water taxi pass for a longer period. Also the hotel has a deal which makes it cheaper. Like 10usd single I think. It adds up though. Also if you are planning to dive I highly recommend chuck and Robbies. Great condition kit and very good value. Flexible and fun guys to learn with. My boyfriend has done hundreds of dives all over the world and said they where really good. I did my padi and first time dives and loved it. Hope you really enjoy your stay at x'tan. Take a free kayak out to the reef for some snorkeling you will see nurse sharks and rays!

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips to X'Tan and points north?

Coastal Express is the way to travel up and down the island. If you're looking to resort/bar hop a bit, The closest resort to X'tan is Portofino and is a good :20 to :30 min walk. Please note that X'tan Ha, just like The Phoenix and other resorts, reserves it's beach chairs, pools, kayaks, etc for the exclusive use of thier registered guests. You are welcome to use the bar, restaurant, and swim off the beach. Be advised that Ambergris is experiencing an unpresidented amount of Sargassum on all the beaches right now, hopefully that will ease up by your visit, but just a head's up. The Phoenix and it's staff are amazing, you'll love it! Enjoy Ambergris.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
70 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips to X'Tan and points north?

Thanks again for the great replies. The Coastal Express sounds as if it is the way to go. BTW, the Phoenix has been amazing thus far. Highly recommend it.

6. Re: Day trips to X'Tan and points north?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 06:16