We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is rough sea common around Christmas time

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Is rough sea common around Christmas time

We're planning for Christmas and are interested in a snorkeling trip to Belize. I was there on a cruise ship last year in end of Nov, when all snorkeling trips were cancelled due to rough sea. I'm wondering if that's common around Christmas time. Thanks!

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is rough sea common around Christmas time

Prevailing conditions are not generally any rougher in winter months but cold fronts can be frequent. These fronts typically bring higher winds and rough seas. That's likely what caused the snorkel trips cancelations.

Christmas - NYE is also uber peak time on Belize so book early.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 01:44
Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is rough sea common around Christmas time

Last year was a bit of an exception to the rule weather wise as we had higher than normal rains at that time of year.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
21,929 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is rough sea common around Christmas time

Where were these cancelled trip? I have snorkeled in many places in the world. The reef right off Ambergris Caye blocks many of the bigger waves. Some of the calmest conditions I have experienced. We visited in January.

4. Re: Is rough sea common around Christmas time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:15