We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of groceries

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of groceries

I would like to know the cost of meat and fruit at the grocery stores. Will be traveling mid sept.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of groceries

Fruit that is grown in Belize is cheap. Bananas are about ten cents a piece. Pineapples a couple dollars. Oranges I don't buy very often, but, they're cheap, at least in the winter. I'm not sure if there are seasonal differences.

However, imported fruits are expensive. Grapes can be US$5-6.00 a pound. Surprisingly, watermelon can be pricy as well, probably a hassle to transport.

Meat I know very little about, I don't buy much. I know I can get an excellent barbecued chicken dinner with cole slaw and rice/beans for about US$5.00.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost of groceries

I prefer to buy fruit & vegetables at a local fruit & vegetable market rather than at a grocery store (better selection and lower prices).

Here are the prices I pay on the mainland (prices might be higher on the islands):

Bananas: BZ$1.00 for 8 (sometimes only 7 for a dollar; sometimes 8 for a dollar)

Oranges: BZ$1.00 per 6 to 12 (prices varies according to season/supply)

Tomatoes: BZ$1.00 to $3.00 per lb (varies)

Apples: BZ$1.00 to $1.50 per apple

Pineapple: BZ$1.50 to $2.50 each

Strawberries: BZ$7.00 for one of those small containers

Watermelon: BZ$4 to $6 per melon depending on size.

Muskmelon (rockmelon) is also available but I don't have prices.

I have only bought meat from a butcher/meat shop:

Chicken: BZ$2.50 per pound (varies)

Edited: 01 September 2014, 23:45
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost of groceries

I usually buy fruit at stands as well. At least in the winter months, watermelons on Ambergris are at least twice the cost that was previously posted. Maybe transportation costs???

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of groceries

thank you so much. And I will be buying all fruit from the market stands. I read on Trip advisor that Lino's Meat Market is a good place to buy meat

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,052 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of groceries

As far as I know, Lino's is the only place to purchase meat that isn't frozen. My husband buys most of his pork there. Chicken is available frozen in pretty much every grocery store. We don't buy much beef.

There's a fish coop, they seem to move around a lot, not sure where they're at these days, somewhere downtown as of last spring.

Ambergris Caye
Destination Expert
for San Ignacio, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of groceries

The Fisherman's co-op is now on a side street town across the street from Gecko Graphics. There is also Grace Shrimp on Front Street down a lane way right before you reach a Cigar store and Sunrise Realty area. Look for a ground level sign and when you walk down the lane you will see an open door on your right with a room full of freezers.

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of groceries

Thank you for all you help

Ambergris Caye
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of groceries

The Lino's in town is great for all meats (chicken, pork, beef but sadly never lamb!). If you want something specially cut it is better to go to their store/warehouse south of town (around the corner from the Gas Station) where they will cut it for you - the best times to go are Tuesday and Saturday afternoon when they have just had a delivery and not everything has been butchered. For Deli meats and sausages The Ambergris Sausage Factory is now (re)opened and they have their goods for sale in several of the stores around town. The Greenhouse and Mermaid have the highest turnover I've seen, so the freshest. Imported fruit and veg is also available at The Greenhouse - not the cheapest but the freshest and best selection.

Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of groceries

Thank you

10. Re: Cost of groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 05:16