We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

Which San Pedro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

We are planning a week of diving on Ambergris Caye in November. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good scuba dive operation there? We are both intermediate recreational divers.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

there are more than a few. good shops

www.amigosdive.com

protech and others.

Belize
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

There are a few pretty good sites. mybelizeadventure.com/destinations/…

Might help.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

Whatever you do, DON'T dive with Protech. I have read several bad reviews and even experienced them myself last January. My wife did her open water dives with them, she still does not have her license. Apparently, they lost her paperwork. Thankfully, PADI is working with us.

The dive boat broke down two different times. I understand that you can have engine problems, however, it was two different boats that broke down.

I could go on, believe me. I also heard through the grapevine that Belize Yacht Club kicked them out, being that they were recieving so many complaints.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

Thanks to all for the advice. We plan to use Amigos del Mar. They were also rated the highest in Belize in the reader ratings of the October 2006 issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

Amigos, Chuck and Robbie's or Protech.

Yes, Protech is having some problems with Belize Yacht Club management, but it is not for the reason that the previous poster stated.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

Protech is a terrible dive shop! Yes, they are losing there dock space do to diver complaints.

DIVERS BEWARE!

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

No, they are not losing their dock space "due to diver complaints".

And if that last post doesn't prove snag ain't who he says he is, I'll eat my hat.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

From: Irma [mailto:frontdesk@islandclubresorts.com] On Behalf Of irma@islandclubresorts.com

Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:35 PM

Cc: xiomara@islandclubresorts.com

Subject: RE: Website Inquiry for Front Desk

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your email; we simply no longer do business with Protech as a result of safety and guest services concerns, Please feel free to email for any question or information needed.

Irma Gonzalez

Reservation Manager

Seashell:

Hopefully you live in Ontario, which is somewhat close to Wisconsin, that way you can drive down here so I can watch you eat your hat!

Snag!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,759 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

I would otherwise not comment, as this forum is based on people's opinions, whether they echo yours or not, but Protech is considered amongst guests and dive professionals to be a very good dive operator.

Canada
Level Contributor
846 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best scuba operators on Ambergris Caye?

As I said snag, there's a problem between the Yacht Club management and Protech. That the Yacht Club chooses to lie about it, says more about the management of the BYC than it does about Protech.