We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crossing the border with alcohol from Mexico

Barranquilla...
14 posts
Save Topic
Crossing the border with alcohol from Mexico

I've just read a couple of posters and all of them have in common that alcohol in Caye caulker it's a bit expensive. So I just want to know if its possible bring some tequila, vodka or beers from Mexico to Caye caulker without having any problem crossing the border. Probably police could take it for them or something like that as I've seen it in other places.

I'm going next month so I wanna be sure about it.

4 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crossing the border with alcohol from Mexico

Here's the link to Belize Customs where you can research it further...

http://www.customs.gov.bz/

On that site, if you search enough, you'll find...

"Conditional Exemptions from Duties and Taxes

The laws of Belize provides for exemptions from duties and taxes for items imported as accompanied

baggage of a passenger that includes:

Wines or spirits not exceeding one litre in all"

With beer, I thought it was case of zero tolerance, but in a recent post on the Thorn Tree forum, a visitor reported that he was allowed to bring in a 6-pack of beer.

Dallas
Level Contributor
181 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crossing the border with alcohol from Mexico

Prices on alcohol may vary, however, generally spirits and beer are not expensive. A bottle of premium Belizian rum or Flor De Cana (Nicaragua) was around $10 to $12 us. Most of the shops sell beer by the bottle and the price is somewhat less than in the US for six. On average, I paid $1.25us per bottle of beer, so around $7.50us for six. Cases can be purchased at the Belikin distributor on the island for $20-$25us. We ended up doing that and it was a slightly better deal. We had a small refrigerator so that helped keeping them cold. Wine was the one thing that was expensive, for example a bottle of Barefoot was around $16.00us, where in the us, that same bottle is $6.99. We aren't tequila drinkers, so I can't attest to those prices. Whiskey and Bourbon was available, however I didn't purchase either of those. In the tropics I enjoy my rum!

Barranquilla...
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crossing the border with alcohol from Mexico

"Cases can be purchased at the Belikin distributor on the island for $20-$25us. We ended up doing that and it was a slightly better deal."

How many beers did you get for this price? and how can I contact the distributor?

Is there any specific place where I can go and find cheap rum and stuff or it's the same price in every shop?

Thank you!

Dallas
Level Contributor
181 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crossing the border with alcohol from Mexico

One case is 24 bottles. The distribution building is on the leeward side, not sure of the street name, but it's a large building, just rode our bikes over there and asked where to buy a case.

There are many small shops on the island, pretty much on every block on middle street (the main street) and their prices are all very similar. I heard one or two families own most of those shops, so the prices are pretty consistent.

Reply to: Crossing the border with alcohol from Mexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted