We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Davis CA
2 posts
Save Topic
Caye Caulker Beaches and Hotels

We are traveling to Caye Caulker next June with two kids (aes 6 and 8). Is the beach nicer on the east or west side of the island? Are the waves bigger on the west or east side fo the island. Does anyone have recommendations for hotels that are nice for a family and are on the beach?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,559 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caye Caulker Beaches and Hotels

Caye Caulker really doesn't have a lot of nice beach. At least not in the 'lay in the sun on your lounger' kind of beach. Very little wave action since the reef is half a mile off shore and the waves break there. There's decent swimming and lovely white sand at the 'split', but I understand the currents can be strong.

I'm not trying to sound negative, I really like Caye Caulker. But, I really wouldn't call is a beach destination.

As far as hotels, with kids I'd probably stay at Seaside Cabanas, I know my kids always wanted a pool, even with the ocean right there.

AKJ
Bruceton Mills...
Level Contributor
2,526 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caye Caulker Beaches and Hotels

Sounds like you're going site unseen. We've been there 3 times and love it. I also wouldn't call it a beach destination.

No waves on either side. Most of the beach areas have turtle grass and aren't really suitable for swimming. On the other hand, the snorkeling is great.

We've got several pictures of CC on our web site that might help put in perspective.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com

Click on Trip Reports / Belize or look for them under Trip Pictures.

If you want a pool, Iguana Reef Inn also has one. Its on the back side of the island while Seaside is on the windward side.

3. Re: Caye Caulker Beaches and Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 06:22