We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel and Dive Combo?

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
26 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkel and Dive Combo?

We are planning a trip to CC this winter. I am a snorkeler and my boyfriend is a diver (although he snorkels too). I can find snorkel tours and dive tours but no tours that would allow us to go together. Does anyone know if this is possible?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel and Dive Combo?

I am going to AC in a few weeks and I have the same issue. I will be learning to dive and my brother will not; he will just snorkel. Though it will be my first time in Belize & scuba diving, this is what I was told by the dive shop I made arranagemnts with. So I am not a expert by any means.

There are only a few spots were he can snorkel were I dive. They are shallow areas one being Hol Chan Marine Reserve. I will actually be learning to dive. My first actual dive for my certification will be a Hol Chan Marine Reserve and I was told he can snorkel there with me. Becasue its shallow, my brother can follow us during the dive.

I guess most areas were people dive are too deep for the snorklers. Than there was some issue about the bubbles from the divers inetefering with the snorklers. Also, they mentioend somthing about the guide can only keep track of the divers. They would have to bring another guide for the snorkler and the costs money.

So, if your willing to pay anything is possible

Again, I'm just sharing what I was told.

I am also curious to hear from some locals or frequent travelers about this. Maybe my understanding is wrong.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel and Dive Combo?

I've heard that trips such as Blue Hole allow both divers and snorkelers. This however is a dive only for those with good experience, not novices.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel and Dive Combo?

Hi FrenchEnglish:

Travelpro is correct. Most of the time, the dive areas are too deep and snorkelers would not be able to see or appreciate anything. Morever, it can be a bit choppy at the surface of the dive spots making for seasick and unhappy snorkelers.

Both the Turneffe (North or Elbow) and the Blue Hole dive trips offer something for both snorkelers and divers. This is because shallow and deep areas abut each other. Diving at Turneffe is done outside a coral wall that drops down to more than 3000 feet deep. Of course, you do not dive that deep. But diving is done outside the wall (the deep side). Inside the coral wall, however, are coral gardens less than 40 feet deep that snorkelers can enjoy as well.

You would be punishing your partner by asking them to accompany you to your dive spot at most any other spot.

Thanks and cheers,

Wendy

4. Re: Snorkel and Dive Combo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2009, 10:38