We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

London
1 post
Save Topic
Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

I recently did the overnight sailing trip to Placencia and had a fantastic time. The crew were professional and great fun too and made sure that everyone felt included and kept us entertained both on the boat and in the evenings. We visited some really beautiful islands and the snorkelling stops were a real highlight in the day. I would definitely recommend the 3 day trip and if I ever go back to Belize I will be going on the trip again!!

Vancouver BC, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

me and some friends are planning a trip to Belize in November and are interested in that tour. I have read very mixed reviews and we haven't made up our minds yet. Some people say that there are a lot of party people who just want to drink the whole time. I also read that the camping gear was terrible and that the food was not great. Any thoughts on those comments???

2. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 04:04
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

“….Charlie, the woman who runs the tours, regaled our group during the orientation of stories of luxury toilets, breakfast made to order, and a high level of professionalism from our crew. After having experienced it first hand, it is safe to say that she has not been on the trip herself - Unbelizablegrrl 2006”

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291959-i1455-k397…

This post above from 2006 took words out of my mouth. I just came back from Caye Caulker trip and I can tell you, do not believe anything that comes out of Charlie's mouth from Raggamuffin Tour (the Owner apparently). To the crew's credit, they did try to do their best on our tour with such bad weather condition.

Because of the weather condition, we specifically asked about it. During our orientation for our tour groups, Charlie, not only claimed that it will not rain (which it did rain... not sure how she makes these claims), she told us that we would have a sailboat that have covers (which there were none), that water won't be choppy because of the reserve, and 'GUARANTEED' seeing turtles, rays, etc.

The next morning, they didn't have enough equipment that they had to borrow from some other tour operations. The sailboat did not have covers (apparently went to another tour group) and we froze for about an hour and half drenched with choppy water. It was sooooo bad that the crew switched our snorkeling sites around to go to Hol-Chan reserve one first… just in case we have to return. The equipments were faulty. I drank so much salt water, as the mask wouldn’t fit well (didn’t even put sunblock). Her "GUARANTEES" were not kept either.

Weather definitely had a play here, but I am not happy about Charlie’s dishonesty, just to sell us her tour. It was apparent that she is willing to lie to make money off of us, then to make sure that we had enjoyable experience and that her company stood by her words and quality. There are many other companies in town…. Perhaps you can try someone else.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

My two friends and I took the three day sailing trip in February 2010 and had the worst and best time ever. The first night was so terrible, I literally walked around the small island trying to get cell reception to get a chopper to come and get me. I literally would have spent $2,000 to get out of there. I wrote about that day on my blog:

…wordpress.com/2010/…

however, after that night was over things got DRAMATICALLY better. The captain turned his attitude around and everyone enjoyed themselves from that point on.

sometimes in life, the crappy stories are the best ones to tell later - I would NEVER do it again, but one friend would. They say they have water for you, but bring a couple bottle of your own - at night they dont give you water for your room! You've been in the sun all day and no water! come on! Thank god I brought two big water bottles with me!

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

Well, reading the above differs drastically to what we've just experienced!

We had an absolutely brilliant time on the 3 day sail to Placencia. The food was fantastic (lobster season had just started). Patrick the captain bought a massive snapper for us to eat and I managed to catch a nice barracuda which we also had. The food isn't 5-star, but people have got to have realistic expectations as they prepare the food on the boat with very limited space and resources.

The camping equipment wasn't brilliant but again, they have 2 trips a week (if the weather is good) so it gets used a lot and in harsh conditions. the salt water can't be good for the poles and canvas but we found the tents fine. The mattresses we were given were nice and thick so we slept very well each night.

As for the "partying", well I certainly like a drink but I was in bed by 10pm every night as the sea air really makes you tired. The night we spent on Tobacco Caye was a bit of a party but that was at the bar which was far away from the tents so if people wanted sleep then they could.

I suppose it boils down to what you were promised on the trip and what you want out of such a trip. We expected to have a good time even though we knew it was going to be basic and we did. The only thing I can comment on was that Charlie mentioned there was a shower on the boat and there wasn't. The first night we spent on Rendevous Caye was a stunning island but there was no washing or toilet facilities at all. The 2nd night on Tobacco Caye is a bit more civilised and there were showers there. The toilet on the boat is a marine toilet (this means the waste goes straight into the sea) so we knew it would be basic.

We had a great laugh with the other people on the boat and had a great time. The trip was one of the highlights of our trip so far (we've been away for 6 months) and I would recommend this trip to anyone. The age range of the people on the boat was from 20 to 58 and everyone had a great time.

Courtenay, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

We were on this same trip, & for the oldest person in the group, all I have to say is it was a blast & I'm willing and ready to do it again!!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

Gordo!! I didn't know you were 58, I thought you were a very spritely 57! It's Jon here. Glad you loved the trip as much as we did. We'd do it again tomorrow if we had the chance!

Save Reply
8. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

@ kittycat111.

When i was planning for my trip to Belize recently, i too was a little overwhelmed by the widely varied reviews re: the overnight sailing adventure with Raggamuffin Tours, and was finding it hard to decide whether or not i should do it. But from my previous travel experiences, I know that people are always going to have different opinions about tours/locations/accommodation etc. What one person hated, another person loved. Fortunately we don't ALL love doing the sames things. You really have to try things for yourself to find out. If it is something you think you and your friends will like, then do it.

In saying that, I just got back from doing this trip and myself and my friends had the absolute time of our lives! I can't think of a better way of seeing the beautiful country of Belize. I am so glad that we decided to do it in the end.

I will say that it wouldn't be a trip for everyone. You will be camping, spending time in the sun, and getting "back to nature" and partying (to some extent), which aren't things that everyone will appreciate. But if you do love adventure, being on the sea and meeting new people, then you will most certainly enjoy this trip! Especially if you are with your friends.

What sounds better then sailing the Caribbean Sea, fishing, snorkeling and explore the underwater world of Belize; camping on picture-perfect islands where there isn't another soul around; sitting around a campfire, roasting marshmellows and getting to know your fellow passengers who come from all across the globe; getting lessons about the history of the country and it's culture from the fabulous crew; being served an abundance of fresh seafood for dinner each night; dancing to live garifuna drumming performed by the locals, just for you; sipping on rum punch while you look up at the sky and admire the brightest stars you have ever seen; soaking up some rays and just kicking back while you cruise along the reef....the list goes on. I truly loved every aspect of this trip. It was an incredible experience that i would do again in a heartbeat.....In fact writing this is making me want to go back there now :)

I will also say that we didn't have any problems with the equipment supplied, both camping and snorkeling. It rained on our second night of the trip (while at Tobacco Caye), but it didn't dampen our spirits...and as the locals would tell you, "welcome to the tropics!". The tent we had looked brand new, and we stayed completely dry inside and slept quite well. Although i did wake up early each morning because it heated up inside as soon as the sun rose, but that it standard when it comes to camping. The climate and salty air would definitely take there toll on the tents, but they seem to update the equipment which is all they can really do.

No problems with the snorkeling equipment i used either. They labeled our fins and mask before we left for the trip so we all had our own stuff to use. And they also carried a few spares with them in case any weren't working properly.

All in all it is a great trip to do when you are in Belize...much better then catching the bus. The crew were totally professional, always looking after us and showing us a good time. Plus the food that they cooked was AMAZING!, and plenty of it. Our boat was good too. Not luxury, but more then adequate. Lots of room to spread out and get shade if you needed it. Everyone on the boat was so nice and we had a lot of fun together. The trip also depends a lot on who is on the trip with you, that is for sure. And the snorkeling was some of the best i have ever done.

A truly unBELIZEable experience :)

Enjoy!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

So glad you had the time of your lives! Great review, and well put so that people will know ahead of time if they'll love it...or not. Cheers!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Raggamuffin Tours - Overnight Sailing

I couldn't agree more with faceman01 - I had an AMAZING time on this Raggamuffin tour. You have to manage your expectations - Charlie's pre-departure briefing wasn't entirely accurate, i.e. no shower on the boat, the shower on the 2nd island was only a cold water hose shower (in a shower). However the snorkeling, tour, food, and crew were much better than she had described.

Although the winds did not allow us to sail, we cruised down through the Cayes stopping to snorkel at desolate sites unknown to the day-trip tours from the main cayes. The water was very warm (December) and the snorkels offered views of sea turtles, rays, nurse sharks, etc. Back on the boat we had the option to sun-bathe or fish, a girl on our trip caught a four-foot Barracuda... which the crew prepared for us that night.

The food was terrific, much better than I had expected. The first night we had as much lobster as you could eat along with the day's catch of Barracuda steaks. The crew also kept the rum punch flowing and we had a great fire going on tiny Rendezvous Caye... this island was very tiny. Although I knew we would be camping I was not prepared for how cold it was the first night.. something Charlie definitely underestimated. The mats were basic however they were fine. If you are expecing luxury tents or accomodation this tour is not for you.

Once again.. manage your expectations. If you love snorkeling, sun bathing, eating lobster, drinking rum punch around a fire on a tiny caye, and the company of diverse travelers (our group featured Aussies, Irish, Americans, Brits) then this is the perfect tour !!! If you can't go without hot water showers for two nights and want an actual bed to sleep on - Raggamuffin isn't for you.

The crew was professional and fun - I couldn't be happier with this tour.