We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caulker next month - itinerary

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Caulker next month - itinerary

Hello all!

I'm about to book a trip to Belize and plan on staying 4 days on Caye Caulker after 4 days in the Cayo district.

A couple of questions --

In your opinion, what is the difficulty-of-access to awesomeness ratio of the Cockscomb Jaguar preserve? It's really out of the way, so would I be better off hitting the Belize Zoo? (Not that a nature preserve and a zoo are in any way the same thing)

Is the best way to find Ras Creek for a snorkel tour still to ask around/drop by the Lazy Lizard?

Also thinking about doing Ragamuffin Tours' Hol Chan snorkel/sailing trip and maybe a day in Ambergris. I'm not dive-certified and love the ease of snorkeling; is there any shore snorkeling at all on Caulker or Ambergris?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks and Cheers!

Kat

Edited: 21 October 2010, 00:29
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caulker next month - itinerary

When we take student groups to Cockscomb, we always stay a night or 2 since it is out of the way. I'd recommend the zoo, and maybe even a night at the Tropical Education Center - ha, not an hour ago I sent an email to the curator of the zoo telling her about how much people talk her up on TA.

Do Hol Chan! That's the one reason we do student groups to the cayes. You'll love it, and Raggamuffin will feed you and get the drink flowing on the trip back. You can snorkel at the split on Caulker. It's not fantastic, but you might see some cool stuff, and the Lazy Lizard is the split bar.

If you'll be in Cayo for a while, eat at some of the amazing restaurants we have; check out the Best of Cayo for some really good restaurants: http://www.bestofcayo.com ATM is a must, and Mountain Pine Ridge is, imho, the coolest thing to do in Belize(why I own a vehicle). If you do Caracol, you'll get to see a few sights in MPR. Pacz tours is the best tour operator in town for safety and service.

Have a fun filled vacation!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Caulker next month - itinerary

DITTO on Caye Caulker - and the Canadian gal at heather@btl.net should be able to hook you up with Costa Maya cabanas - lovely place, affordable. And coming out of the Cayo area to move to the islands, you might want to link up with Major Tom at info@cave-tubing.net for cave tubing and the canopy tour while on the way to your water taxi (best and cheapest way to move to the islands). In fact, in Belize, just ask - the people there are so friendly and accommodating.

Leamington Spa...
Level Contributor
76 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caulker next month - itinerary

Hi Katlanta,

We stayed on CC earlier in the year and had a great time - you'll love it. I've written up all my tips (tours, restaurants, hotels etc) into a blog which you may find useful:

simonseeks.com/travel-guides/carefree-caye-c…

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,327 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caulker next month - itinerary

There is some ok snorkeling off the ends of some of the piers on Ambergris. Ramon's and CaribbeanVillas both have small artificial reefs. We've seen lots of fish, rays, crabs, eels, lobster, even a couple of nurse sharks. The snorkeling doesn't compare to being out at the reef though.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caulker next month - itinerary

We enjoyed our stay in the Cockscomb Reserve but between the extra steps and stages to get there and the gigantic mozzies, I'd recommend the zoo. Try to get there 1st thing to beat the heat and the crowds, especially if it's a cruise ship day. We prefer to do our inland part 1st and wind up on the water.

We stayed on Caulker and did the Raggamuffin Hol Chan trip (loved it); check out the Belize 2009 photo collection with links to a photo blog and a detailed travelogue on the main page. We've loved everything we've done and every place we've stayed during our 2 visits (totally about 7 weeks) to Belize and all my recommendations are embedded in the links:

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Have a great trip!!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
252 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caulker next month - itinerary

I'm back! Thanks all for the helpful advice! Belize was great, and we'd love to go back.

BTW, Ras Creek is apparently on vacation, or was last week. Used Carlos Tours for Hol Chan and EZ Boy for Caulker. Took a sunset sail with Ragamuffin and it was a hoot! Their snorkel tour looked like quite the party as well.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
4,250 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caulker next month - itinerary

You can snorkel at the Split. It's not amazing, but people do it.

The best snorkeling is at the reef further away. I would highly recommend the full day Raggamuffin snorkeling tour which lets you snorkel at 3 spots, including that reef (you get to touch sharks and sting rays). I posted a review of it on TripAdvisor.

8. Re: Caulker next month - itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2011, 06:16