We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservation vs. just showing up?

Arizona
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Reservation vs. just showing up?

Were not real picky about where we stay but charm and a kitchen are pretty cool. I know CC is small and easy to go from a2b2c... We like to try and stay under $75 a night. We will be on island Nov 18th-23rd.

What do you think?

Chad

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

I think you'll be fine. I am a planner, and find a place or two that look good ahead of time, and email them ahead of time as to availability.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,695 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

Over Thanksgiving holiday? I'd book ahead. You'll find something but the best value, most charming, and well located places may be booked.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,496 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

i don't have a calender in front of me (I'm in Puerto Vallarta). Didn't realize Thanksgiving was when you were traveling. I'd reconsider not making reservations.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,695 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

You lucky duck, Jean - it's windy and rainy here and I'm dreaming of warm places. :-)

Arizona
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

Thanks for the good advice. I'm such a commitment fobe that its tough to decide with so many nice options. But, I'll start looking a little harder. Any places you have enjoyed?

Chad

Edited: 25 October 2010, 06:42
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,695 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

We were there with a family group and stayed at Sailwinds which was perfect for us - full kitchen, separate bedroom, great location and view. We were there during low season which made it affordable (we paid $80 + tax) but I think their high season rates are much higher.

http://www.staycayecaulker.com/sailwinds.html

You could try the Toucan Trail section of the Belize Forum:

www.belizeforum.com

or the free and/or cheap downloads for lodging and island time on Lan Sluder's site:

www.belizefirst.com

Try to eat at least 1 dinner at Wish Willy - picnic tables in a backyard down by the split - great value, delicious seafood. You can see photos, a blog, and detailed travelogues here:

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Happy trails!

San Pedro, Belize
Level Contributor
560 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

Book ahead, that is over USA Thanksgiving week and many places sell out. Also many properties are "managed" by an off-site manager so you can't just walk in. Seaside Cabanas are always cute, and I like Caye Reef as well. You can find them both on the internet. Be sure to check out Trivia night (Weds/Fri and Sun) at the Sports Bar, the entire island - tourists, expats and locals- show out in full force, it's tons of fun.

Arizona
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

Thanks everyone. This is my first time using the forum on tripadvisor and it really helps the peace of mind. Still haven't made a reservation, but most likely will.

Thanks

Chad

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

Check out OASI. Lots of reviews and here is their website....

http://www.holidaybelize.com

Arizona
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Reservation vs. just showing up?

Thanks, OASI does look good. This is the hard part again with so many great places.