We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

I've been reading as much as I can on this forum but as we get closer, I'm trying to figure out exactly what to take for cash, etc.

Is there much of anywhere that does take credit cards? Seem like I keep seeing that most restaurnats don't. What abotu snorkel and dive shops? other tours?

As an alternative, are US travelers check accepted or do you need cash?

Where they do take credit cards is it mostly VISA, MC? I assume most don't take American Express :-)?

Is the ATM machine on CC, a no fee ATM or is there a few?

Can you easily cash travelers checks at the bank and get BZE dollars? will there be a cashing fee?

Ok, anything elese I might have missed asking?

I hate to travel with a lot of cash or travelrs checks for that matter, just a hassle but if credit cards are hard to use then I want to plan for that.

Thanks all for your always helpful info,

AJ

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

In my experience some lodging places take credit cards, others don't. Don't count on it for restaurants or snorkel and dive shops, but you could email ahead. Also ask if there's a fee for their use; often its 5% but we've seen as high as 10%. Some places take traveler's checks which are a great way to go if you know ahead where you can spend them. You can cash them in banks, usually a fee.

There's at least one ATM; when we were there it was sometimes out of cash but they'd refill it during business hours. You're likely to get socked with fees; ask your bank ahead and be sure to let them know you'll be using it (and your CC, usually a different phone #) out of the US so the fraud departments don't freeze your cards.

I use visa cards in CA; MC would likely work (though they're a problem in Honduras) but don't count on AE.

Have a great trip!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

We do quite a bit of traveling so familiar with most fees etc but also used to many places taking credit cards.

Do most people count on the ATM for cash or take travelrs checks and cash them at the bank?

Interested in work best for people.

-AJ

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

We live on Ambergirs Caye part of the year. We have a little bit us US cash stashed away for 'emergencies', but we rely almost totally on ATM's. Never had a problem, although, we make sure we have enough cash going into the weekends.

Credit cards are almost certainly more widely accepted here than on Caye Caulker, and we use them a lot of more upscale meals and also for groceries.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

thanks. we have used ATM on many caribbean islands so will likely do the same on CC.

A bit more info that I found out this morning:

Had live chat with an Atlantic Bank person in belize this morning. He said that they cash Travelers checks over 100.00 free and charge 1.00 for each check under 100.

Also, no ATM fee on their end. Any fee woudl be the "out of network" fee from our bank. I think we'd be in network on CC though.

I think with a bit of budgeting and an ATM card, we'll be set :-)

-AJ

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

Correct me if I am wrong but i dont beleive there is an atlantic bank on caulker is there?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

Their wesite shows one there and so did one other site I saw on CC - with a photo. The guy I exchanged notes didn't say otherwise but I could easily be corrected.

If the bank isn't Atlantic, what is it?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

i sit corrected. apparently there is an atlantic bank on caulker but from what i read it doesnt have an atm.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

When are you traveling? I'm heading to Caulker on Wednesday, I can let you know about ATM at Atlantic Bank.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

we have a little over a month yet. Would really appreciate the info - sure others would too :-)

Thanks,

AJ

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,258 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Credit Cards? Travelers Checks? Cash?

Yes, there is an ATM at the Atlantic Bank on CC. I have used it several times. Get your withdrawals at least a day before you need money. Talking from experience here, lol. As others have mentioned, they often run out of money. I usually try first thing in the morning. If the machine is down during the hours the bank is closed for lunch just wait and go back later as they will fix it or fill it once they come back in.

Edited: 12 March 2011, 13:59