We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

Fairhope, Alabama...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

We rented The Indigo Peal off VRBO website and had an awful experience with the property and the owners. We are still fighting with the owners to get our money back since we never took occupancy of the house because of the conditions. The owners even acknowledge that the house wasn't ready for us but said we should have made sure the off site care taker took care of all the problems. I have been contacted by several others that stayed and had the same experience. While on the island we met a couple who had The Indigo Pearl rented after we did. They could not get out of there agreement and had to stay at the house. Now they are trying to post their bad review and the owners claim that they never even stayed at the house. The owners keep posting false reviews about how great the house is. Does anyone know how we can stop these people from falsifying reviews on VRBO. It is hurting the renters plus Caye Caulker because after a bad experience people aren't going to want to come back to the island.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

I'd let VRBO know, specifically, the admins. I'll pass it on here so there can be a listing where you can write a review, and they can post fake ones, haha. This isn't the first time I've heard this. I'm surprised they are still scamming people.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

In the mean time, you can go to this page:

www.tripadvisor.com/VacationRentalsSuggest

You can request that they be added so you can review them.

Here's the website of the IP: http://www.wix.com/auajan/indigopearl which needs to be input so they can verify it.

Seattle...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

Are you serious? We are supposed to stay here tomorrow. Can you contact me please? daisygirl3378@yahoo.com

Fairhope, Alabama...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

I emailed you some information Abby K. All I can say is good luck. Hope you have a better experience than we did and the guests that stayed right after us, who can't get their review posted since the owners claim they don't know them and they say this family never stayed there. The Radford's know that they have received another bad review. The rental is not as they advertise it and it is a lot farther out of town then they claim.

All the good reviews listed on VRBO are fake. They even posted a review when we had the place rented.

Caye Caulker, Belize
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

There are no fake reviews. Check out our site for yourselves and I'm sure you will be pleased: www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p909355

ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

03/09-2013- just got back from spending all of feb. at indigo pearl in caye caulker. talked with owners about upgrades they had just done and then email someone who was staying there at the time. everything seemed fine so we rented all of feb.

had a great time. the wind turbine added to the solar keeps the power up. even tried to max the power out one night and couldn't. had no issues. when we ran out of propane the caretaker was there within 45 minutes with replacement.

loved being "out" of town. great privacy. 10 minute bike ride to town was enjoyable. shopped, filled the baskets on the bikes and headed home. great time.

the coolest part was the little protected bay out front. when it got windy we still had calm water. the house was fine, the property was fine, and the people were fine. no issues. i highly recommend this to the healthy/adventitious crowd. if you like resorts and high end hotels, go there. this isn't for you. if you like your privacy, staying in a house that makes a small footprint on the land, this is for you. all appliances worked, wifi worked-had a great time. review is on VRBO

Chicago, Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

We just returned from our stay on Caye Caulker and had a rocking time. We met some very nice people while on the island. There was a couple that stayed at this place and we visited them several times while we were on the island. This house is a dump. I would not suggest staying here.

ohio
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

i have to think i was in the couple that was visited by these folks. we were there for all of feb. don't know what they mean by, "a dump". we had a great time. had no issues with the houses condition. unless they were talking about the old dock that is in disrepair. the house itself was fine!!!!!

Caye Caulker
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

I believe you are thinking instead of The Indigo House on Caye Caulker.

This home, The Indigo Pearl had only just recently opened to guests.

The two homes are often mistaken for one another. I believe the Indigo House is no longer in operation.

Edited: 27 August 2013, 19:27
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renters Beware of The Indigo Pearl

If the Indigo Pearl is known as the yellow house in Caye Caulker by the locals we stayed there. I will be brutally honest for 71 US dollars a night it is a rip off. We were provided with two bikes and a kayak which to be honest they both functioned as they should however you are required to take a bike path that is plain rugged due to concrete stones, rocks & tree branches all over the pathway (If it rained the night before you have to bike through huge puddles of water) . It is pretty much located in the swampy area of Caye Caulker which is rumoured by locals to be home to a 16 ft crocodile. We were told by locals to not travel by bike at night and if the locals warned us we def followed there advise. That being said we would basically return to the house before dark. We were forewarned that the house was off the grid and that it was a 25 minute bike ride into the town and for that they were honest. It is a 25 minute bike ride and so if you are not active or young def stay away. I would have to say that the worse part of this rental is that it is infested with mosquitos. If we were paying 71 US dollars a night at the very least they could have sprayed the property prior to our arrival. The swarms of mosquitos were so bad that we couldn't enjoy the amazing ocean front view, it was essentially a waist. The house does not come with A/C but to be quite honest as long as the fans worked the house was always cool---This leads me to the final issue of the house, the fact that there solar panels worked only if we conserved the energy because they must not have a back up battery of some sorts. We could never have the lights on during the day and we could only turn on the fan or light if we were in the room other wise we would lose electricity for the evening. This occurred to us at the very least twice during our visit which was horrible because we relied on candles and the fan would not work and we could barely sleep in the heat of the night. The benefits of this house may be the free bikes, the ability to go fishing and the access to the full kitchen but I would really look at other properties because the lack of stable electricity, the infestation of mosquitos and in my boyfriends words - "swampy, dirty & essentially abandoned appearing property" made it hard to feel like a vacation.