We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

We are considering these two places for our trip in February of next year. I cannot find much in the way of reviews from travellers. I have relied heavily on Trip Advisor in the past and have had very good experience making my decisions based on the reviews I find here. I am hoping somebody will know about one or both of these places and give me some feedback on them. Thanks!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
56 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

We are staying at Weezie's Cabin the end of next month for 9 days with our children. I will let you know how it is after we return. I don't know anything about Sundance Villa, but the reviews and comments I have seen about Weezie's were all positive and that is why we booked with them. We sponsor a boy who lives on Caye Caulker to attend the high school there (Ocean Academy) and we had him walk over and check the place out. He said it looks nice from the outside and the pool was clean and nice.

La Grande, Oregon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

I stayed at Sundance in March of this year. There were six of us and it was great. When we first arrived, it is just around the corner from the airport (and I really mean just around the corner!)....and I was disappointed at first to realize that it was so far from "town"....but after we all rented bikes, it was wonderful. Great ride home from town in the evenings to a nice, quiet, residential part of the island. (I'm not talking far...maybe 3/4 of a mile?) The airport noise is just about non-existant...you don't really hear the planes until they have touched down and take-off is quick.

Diane Auxillou was great to work with online and Dora was there to meet us with the keys and make sure we had all we needed. A big jug of drinking water is provided (like 5 gallons). We didn't do any cooking but the fridge was great for keeping the beer cold and freezing water bottles!!

Both bedrooms had airconditioning, king beds, and private bathrooms. The 3rd bed was a queen behind a partial wall separating the living room....no airconditioning there, but corner windows. The third floor rooftop terrace is great in the evening or early morning....just spray for mosquitos!!

I believe that Weezie's Cabin is in the same neighborhood...maybe 2-3 blocks away....owned by a nice guy from Colorado (I think)....Hi Tom!

Hope you have a great time. We all fell in love with Caye Caulker and can't wait to go back.

Hope this helps.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
5 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

I stayed at Weezie's Cabin in early June 2012 and I really liked it and would stay again if I return. It is set back from town, but you won't even notice it if you have a bike. A few people in my party weren't comfortable on the bike, so we often walked to the split at the other end of town and it was no big deal. The house is clean, and the air conditioning and pool are a dream. Two things I should mention: 1) The "loft" is reached by a very steep ladder. There were five adults in my party and only one of us was brave enough to climb. The ladder is sturdy and the loft is nice enough but we didn't realize it'd be that set up, so really the place only accomodates 4 adults who don't mind sharing a bed. 2) The bugs when we went were pretty ferocious, and all of us got multiple bites. It's just the way it is, especially away from the coast. Don't think you're above bug spray, DEET is the only thing that provides you relief. We didn't have any problem with bugs in the house.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
56 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

I wrote this on another thread but wanted to share here in case you didn't see the other one...

We just returned from staying at Weezie's Cabin and I would highly recommend it. My husband & I took our 4 children with us to Caye Caulker and Weezie's fit perfect for our family. There are two bedrooms and a loft that has 2 single beds. Our sons slept up in the loft and while the ladder is steep to get up there, my husband and I didn't have any trouble climbing up or down it.

It also has a full kitchen and a nice dining area/living room. We ended up buying groceries and making breakfast & lunch every day at home and eating out at a local restaurant for dinner. We were happy to see the previous guests had left some spices and olive oil and we ended up adding to that spice collection as well as leaving coffee filters, too. The kitchen also has a water dispenser and when we ran out of water, the island caretaker, Bobbi, was quick to drop off another one. The kitchen is fully stocked with bowls, pots & pans, wine glasses, drinking glasses, plates, silverware, cooking utensils, ice cube trays, etc.

The beds all have sheets and light blankets and each room has a set of bath towels to use. There were a few beach towels in the closets, but we brought our own so used ours.

The home also has interior model air conditioning units that work very well to cool the home down in a hurry. The only area that didn’t have air conditioning was the loft, but our sons didn’t seem to mind that it was a little warmer up there than the rest of the house.

The home also has WiFi and a TV with many channels.

The best thing we enjoyed about Weezie’s was the pool and deck that surrounds it. We spent many hours swimming and because we knew it had a pool before we arrived, we brought along several floaties and blow up balls. Instead of packing them we decided to leave these behind so the next guests could enjoy them as well.

Weezie’s is located south of the “downtown” area and just north of the airstrip. It is in a quiet neighborhood and the property is patrolled by security. We have been to Caye Caulker before and have never experienced any trouble but it was nice have this extra peace of mind. The security guard would come around in early evening and walk around the yard and wave to us before leaving.

There are 5 bikes on the property and while I would have liked them to be included in the price of renting the home, they were reasonable enough to rent for the week at $25 per bike. We didn’t think we would use them, but they really did come in handy if we wanted to quickly ride to the store, bike to the split, etc. All of the bikes are fairly similar in Caye Caulker so we did use the locks to ensure no one accidentally took our bikes.

There are many sand flies and mosquitoes in Caye Caulker. Avon’s Skin So Soft works well for sand flies because they essentially drowned in the oil before they can bite you. For the mosquitoes, we found the Off pump spray that (I believe) is also oil based worked well. Essential lavender oil works very well if you do get a bite. I’ve never tried it, but I did hear one of the locals mention that if you rub papaya on the bite it will take away the sand fly itch. If you remember to keep the front door shut you will not have any problems inside with either of these.

Center, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

I agree with BookJunkie. We (family of 5) just stayed at Sundance Villa 6/28 to 7/3. Everything BookJunkie said about it is right on target. There are also 2 bicycles provided.

The house got a little warm in the afternoon (we're spoiled to air conditioning) but it was very comfortable in the mornings and evenings. The two bedrooms are air conditioned so they stayed comfortable throughout the day.

I so enjoyed the "rooftop" early in the mornings and late afternoons. I used Avon's bug spray and had no problem with bits.

Caye Caulker is great!!!!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

Another positive review for Sundance Villa and Dora (she is super helpful at arranging anything you want to do on/off the island! Always willing to help.). Completely agree with what BookJunkie said about the place. Rooms are all very clean, main room is very comfortable and roof deck is great at night. We rented two bikes and cycled into town which was great. We left from the airport which meant walking a few steps to get there. At sunset you can walk on the runway for your evening stroll. Would stay here again and recommend it to others

Caye Caulker
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

So glad you had a good time @ Sundance Villa! We look forward to having you as repeat guests.

FYI - We added a new A/C unit to the open space encompassing the extra sleeping area, the living room / dining room & kitchen area. The property is also now fully fenced giving off an even more private residential feeling: your home away from home.

Thanks for choosing Sundance Villa- Belize!

Edited: 23 January 2013, 21:05
8. Re: Sundance Villa or Weezie's Cabin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2014, 05:15