We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

Our family of three will be in Belize for a week in late August. We have a commitment to spend 5 days in St Ignacio and want to spend the extra days in Caye Caulker. We would be going to Caye Caulker first for two nights.

Our flight arrives at BZE at 3:30pm. Will we have enough time to catch one of the scheduled ferries to Caye Caulker? Will it make a difference if we don't check luggage? It looks like the last ferry is at 4:30. Do we have other options if we miss this ferry? The plane tickets are being provided by someone else, so we have little control over that. I would really appreciate any brilliant suggestions about how to handle this part!

For lodging, we're considering Seaside Cabanas and Kokomo Beach Suites, which are right in our budget range. I haven't found very many reviews of Kokomo Beach; it appears to have recently changed hands and the newer reviews seem much better than older ones... any current thoughts? We don't need luxury BUT my husband really wants a/c.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

You shouldn't have any trouble making the last water taxi.

Here's a site that has links to the three water taxi companies. Looks like the last one is 5:30. (it might be 4:30 in the winter.)

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

If your international flight is very late, consider just flying from BZE to Caye Caulker. It will be expensive, but better than having to stay in Belize City.

I've never stayed at either place you mention, but I've always been fond of Seasside Cabanas. It just 'looks' inviting.....

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

You'll definitely cut your time between the flight landing and getting to the dock by traveling carry-on only which I recommend anyway - the vast majority of travelers have no need for more luggage than that. Check out the website below for validation and ideas. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

www.onebag.com

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

It takes about 30 to 45 minutes to get from the plane, through the airport. Not having checked luggage will cut about 15 or 20 minutes from that time because it seems there's always a wait for the luggage to get into the terminal.

The taxi ride (BZ$50 or US$25) to Belize City is about 20 to 30 minutes depending on traffic.

In BC, there are 2 water taxi terminals.

The last boat from the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Terminal (that's the one beside the Swing Bridge) departs at 5:00 pm. You should be able to catch that one.

The last boat from the Brown Sugar Water Taxi Terminal (a few hundred metres down the street from the Swing Bridge) departs at 5:30 pm.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

Thanks for the info; you've all been very helpful. If we end up checking bags, we may just plan to fly. We invariably fly with some sort of gear that necessitates checking luggage; not so much because of space but because we have things that aren't allowed in carry-ons. We've also had enough inconsistent security policies in various countries and airports that it's easier just to check one bag and avoid any problems.

Is is generally possible to get walk-on seats for the Tropic Air or Maya Island Air flights in late August?

Does anyone have any thoughts about Kokomo Beach Suites??

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

I myself am thinking of Kokomo Beach suites. We are going next year so I have been watching for all the new reviews. That is my first choice right now.

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

the reason I am looking into this one is because all of the reviews have been good. They have private beach. It is right by the water Taxi and they have a kitchen and A/C. it seems to be a good bang for your buck. I have seen some complaints on some of the other places we were looking into.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
7,229 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

Bumping...

Hoping someone can answer my question about Tropic Air / Maya Island Air and whether it's generally possible to get walk-in tickets in last August at BZE for Caye Caulker?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

I wouldn't bank on it late in the day. If you can build in the flexibility of taking a later flight if the next one's full, then you'd probably be ok. Sometimes Maya Island Air has cheaper rates for cash walk ups.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,674 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

Caye Caulker is usually an 'extra stop. Flights don't go there unless there are passengers going. If the flight to Ambergris is full, you may be out of luck getting to Caulker. If you have a reservation, they will get you there, maybe in a four seater.

Hon
Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation logistics from BZE and lodging questions

Terrie C, if one of your main reasons for choosing Kokomo Beach is a private beach, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed. I have walked that stretch of beach many times and it, just like all beaches in Belize, is most definitely open to the public.