We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkel charter with a not so strong swimmer?

Seattle, Washington
1 post
Save Topic
Snorkel charter with a not so strong swimmer?

I'll be snorkeling with my 12 year old who is not the most confident swimmer. Do snorkel charters typically have life jackets or arm inflatables to help folks float?

Or should we plan to bring our own? I'm thinking a life jacket is going to take up a lot of valuable space in our luggage.

Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,108 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkel charter with a not so strong swimmer?

I've never snorkeled from Caulker, but, the operators on Ambergris have always had life jackets available. They tend to be what I would call the old fashioned orange types, rather than a true jacket style. Unless you just tie one around your waist, it's hard to snorkel, since they're made to keep your face out of the water.

If you have time before your trip, you could consider investing in a snorkel vest. You inflate them yourself, so they take up far less room in your luggage than a life jacket.

Also, the guide usually has a 'ring' that he drags along, should anyone in the group get into any sort of trouble or become fatigued.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,865 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkel charter with a not so strong swimmer?

Be sure to tell the provider about your son's lack of confidence in the water before you book the trip and consider going another day if there's any chop on the water. Most of the places take you to Shark Ray Alley, Coral Gardens, and Hol Chan and especially the latter can be pretty rough at times. Don't mean to sound overly dramatic but there have been several fairly recent deaths on snorkel trips due to currents. There might be other options with calmer water. Safe travels!

Mentioned in this post
Shark Ray Alley
Shark Ray Alley
939 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
La Grande, Oregon...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkel charter with a not so strong swimmer?

I would strongly suggest you book your trip with Carlos Ayala at Carlos Tours.

He has incredible knowledge and attention to safety and detail. You won't be sorry. His shop is near the outdoor cinema and Amor y Cafe if I recall. Just ask around, people will point you in the right direction.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkel charter with a not so strong swimmer?

Yes, Carlos is very patient with adults who have physical problems or need extra attention, so I imagine he would be very good with a child who is not a confident swimmer.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 21:57
vermont
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkel charter with a not so strong swimmer?

anda de wata tours only takes out a few snorklers and has life preservers for people who may get tired.....they are very honest and don't go out if the ocean is to rough.......and they have a safety swimmer to follow you just in case you do get tired......they are across from marin's restaurant whcih also has excellent seafood......so its nice to have one stop fun.........they all have a good attitude and make the tours alot of fun and seem to know where the fish are......hope this helps

6. Re: Snorkel charter with a not so strong swimmer?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 15:17