We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

Boston
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

Hello, traveling to Belize next week. Someone in our party has a passport that expires in July. I keep finding conflicting reports if this is going to be an issue or not. Please give me

Good news!!! I'm going into panic mode.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

According to everything I've read, and what I've always been told, Belize is one of those countries that has a 'six month rule' regarding passports.

That means your passport has to be valid for six months after your travel dates.

The person in your party needs to get his passport renewed. Find your nearest passport office, call and make an appointment. It can be done, but, will cost extra.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
431 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

Jean is correct...that being said I do not think they will be denied, but it will be a hours of a delay. I heard something about needing to deal with the embassy or something. You have time to get a new passport. I just got my new born son one in 3 days. I had to pay for escalation, but I got it...

Boston
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

We leave next week, I dont think we have time. I did not see Belieze on the 6 month list when i checked a while back, I thought we were ok.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,566 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

You do have time, you just have to find the nearest passport office, make an appointment and go there. Yes, there will be fees involved.

Even if Belize will let you in, airlines have their own rules, and I've heard of people being denied boarding with a passport that expires soon.

Buckhorn, Canada
Level Contributor
573 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

I've experienced this several years ago. The airline probably won't let you on because the receiving country charges the airline if the passport expires before the time required. Everything I have read says 6 months. Don't take a chance! We'll be there in October!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,561 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

Get to the passport office ASAP and beg if you have to.

Last year I had a trip planned to Honduras for my 40th birthday around this time, and couldn't get on the plane because my passport expired in July.

Start thinking about alternate plans (e.g. Hawaii or Puerto Rico) if the passport renewal option won't shake out.

7. Re: Passport expires in July!!!please advise!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:16