We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

place that might cook my *catch*

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
place that might cook my *catch*

I am having such a tough time sussing out where to stay. It has been 20 yrs since I have been to caye caulker so my scope of reference is a bit off lol

I have narrowed down to two places...equally great...but one has an awesome fishing *hook*

the rub is that I first just wanted to revisit wonderful caye caulker and swim, snorkel and relax...then the fishing bug reared its roaring head

so I am pretty much decided where I want to stay...now just what level of room. I always like having a kitchenette as I am a chef and alway play...but...if I chose the courtyard basic room I could afford a fourth glorious day out fishing instead of three as oposed to staying in the kitchen equipt cabana

a buddy told me that he had a place right behind where I am staying (sea dreams) where the fellow would cook his catch for a few bucks ...he said the guy was the nicest fellow you could ever hope to meet and I kinda think it is Terry from Terry's grill fr my friends description

does any local on this forum know if Terry or anyone else will cook your catch for you? It is not about the $$ it is about having the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful simple basics

I would skip the higher end apartment for a basic room and extra fishing if I knew I could take my lobster, snapper, or whatever to a local grill to be cooked

any suggestions ???

much appreciated

:-)

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,120 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

I don't think that'll be a problem to arrange with any of the vendors who are accommodating. Especially is you bring it prewrapped in foil with whatever spices and veggies you want it cooked in

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

Habaneros charges US$7.50 per person for cooking your fish and providing a sauce...sides etc.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

Roses prepared our fish for us in May. The captain that took us out fishing, cleaned it & delivered it to Roses. Roses prepared it simply & it was delicious. We only paid for our sides and drinks. I can look up the captain's name if you don't already have that set up. We (4 of us) had a fun half day trip!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

Roses rocks! I also recommend them to friends when they ask. They have nice ambiance too.

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

thanks so much for all your help & suggestions !!

I am spending 9 days in CC and def will explore my way around ... being solo it is somethings harder to find a place that does the work for one but Caye Caulker was an amazing place when I was there way back when and I expect the same kind of vibe.

I am hoping to confirm my bookings soon but always welcome names and suggestions for fishing, dining, playing etc

Will look to see where Rose's is

Thanks Again

:-)

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

9 days! Wow! I'd split it with another caye or Placencia since it is somewhat small there. Maybe leave a few days open. Have a great time!

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

Thank you !

I know...some people think I am nuts but I loved caye caulker when there before..first time 20+ yrs ago ... second time a few years after that

I mucked around belize a lot back then spending a few weeks each trip.

I enjoyed Placentia and a few other spots but Ambergris and tiny quiet Caulker were my favs

Again I know it will be very very dif this much later ... mass tourism will do that.. but still looking forward to a laid back visit

I am spending almost a week on Ambergris first ... then packing my fishing rod, snorkel, and a few good books and heading for Caulker

The last few years I have spent 3 weeks each year running around Europe and really am looking forward to quiet relaxation back in Belize

I hated having to cut it to 'just 9 days' lol

I always find some way to amuse myself and I have to say I am so very excited to go back and most of all just GO SLOW

;-)

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

I don't know if CC has changed as much as you may think. But I bet Amergris has. You may want to go to CC first...9 days may not be enough and you might not want to leave at all!

Save Reply
9. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

The Barrier Reef Inn is new. It has kitchens for you to cook your catch. I loved it, best food. The Barrier Reef Inn has the cleanest spot aswell

alberta
Level Contributor
562 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: place that might cook my *catch*

thanks adventuregal

only prob is almost every post you made has been a shout out for the barrier reef inn.. that kind of promotion always leave me wondering about the integrity of the place

Edited: 14 September 2013, 00:00