We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of questions

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
80 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of questions

Hey everyone, my wife and I have been to Caye Caulker many times and we return in August of this year. This will be our first time visiting the Caye in the summer for any length of time. Our plan is the retire on CC in a few years and we want to get to know folks.

A few questions and thanks in advance for any answers.

1: We really want to interact with some of the locals this time. One thought was to see if there are any social events (poker etc) that will let us do that. Any suggestions?

2: Do any of the local fishermen allow folks to help on board? Just a thought it would be interesting.

3: Any off the beaten path ideas to help us meet more of the regular citizens?

4: I understand that in the past you could buy fresh catch at the docks. Any thoughts on where and when?

5: Any recipes you might recommend for the fresh catch? We will have a grill at the place we are staying.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of questions

You could try living in a local neighborhood rather than in 1 of the hotels created for tourists. In my experience that is the best way to really interact and enjoy and understand the culture of an area more.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of questions

Honestly...the best way to see if you can live on Caye Caulker is to...live on Caye Caulker. If you want to buy fresh fish lobster etc just look up. If you see frigates congregating over a spot on the beach...there is a fisherman directly below them cleaning his daily catch. Poker games are a pretty regular thing at the sports bar...just be there around noon and ask...they usually start at 1:00. I fell in love with this Caye over a decade ago and it's still my home. Come and spend some time here first...rent a house...and just live it daily...you will soon know if it's right

3. Re: Couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 05:17