We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

I am torn as to wear we would like to vacation this year. I have been doing research but am clearly undecided!!! After doing research on the weather - this may help with my decision considerably.

In Hawaii, chance of rain is less than 40% of days. In Belize 60% of days. I hear many people say that Belize is a must to snorkel... but that the water is more green than Hawaii... Then I also read that most sites can only be visited by boats in Belize... and this could be rather expensive. In Hawaii, one can snorkel off of the beach! What are your thoughts?

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

If snorkeling is your priority, I'd head to Belize. Or, Bonaire.

Rarely does it rain all day in Belize and interfere with activities. The exception is when there's a storm coming through. I'm guessing it's the same in Hawaii.

I can think of lots of reasons to go to Hawaii, but, snorkeling isn't one that comes to mind.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

We snorkel off the beach in HI all the time. You're right, in Belize you'll need to hire a boat but the snorkeling is excellent and the area is pristine at Hol Chan. There are other places to beach snorkel, like Grand Cayman. How much do you plan to snorkel? I love it but realistically there are many other hours in the day and the culture varies so much between these destinations, that I would not have that be the sole reason for choosing a destination. Just me though.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

Well we are trying to be a little bit frugal as airfare is almost $800/pp. We are animal/nature lovers. We would like to spend about 75% of our time snorkeling as I have fallen in love with it while experiencing it on our cruise! To pay for a tour everyday just so I could go snorkeling would be costly! If am wrong - let me know! :) We did visit Belize & Grand Cayman as it was one of the stops on our cruise back in 2011. So maybe it would be nice to go somewhere else anyway!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Cayman
Grand Cayman
Cayman Islands
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

Where would you advise us to go snorkeling then in October? I'm just really concerned about Belize. I heard the reefs are amazing... but I am truly worried about the weather!

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

and if I should chose Hawaii... what else would you recommend? Thanks!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

Have you looked into Bonaire? It has absolutely amazing snorkeling from shore. As well as tours available. It's outside the 'hurricane belt'. We've been in December the past couple of years, the weather has been awesome.

It can be expensive to get to. Look into flying to Aruba, then taking a flight on one of the local airlines, Divi or Insel.

Mentioned in this post
Aruba
Aruba
Caribbean
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
91 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

I just checked into it $6,000 round trip flight? does that seem right to you? lol

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

Really, 75% of your time snorkeling? Is that like 6-8 hours a day, every day? Seems like a lot. Anyway, yes, I see your point that having to pay for boat rides every day would add up. I think Maui has the most options for shore snorkeling in HI, and if you like nature you can hike or do other things outside for free or cheap. (of course, there are a lot of activities that are $$$). No one would ever call Maui a frugal destination but Oct is the low season and if you rent a condo, you can eat some of your meals in. This is way off-topic for the Belize forum, so maybe check out the TA HI forums. I also like the HI guidebooks by Wizard Publications--they are popular and may be in your local library. We also skipped Belize in the fall due to weather, but if you're still considering AC, I hear Tranquility Bay has shore snorkeling, but they are very far from anything else in AC, with limited transportation options to San Pedro, so FYI. (some people love it, though. Depends on what you're looking for).

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Tranquility Bay Resort
Tranquility Bay Resort
476 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,252 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

Yea, we're getting way off topic. Check your private messages.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
374 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling - October 2013 - Belize or Hawaii?

We'll be heading to Belize soon, and spending part of our time on Ambergris Caye. We are staying north of San Pedro, at the X'tan Ha. It is south of Tranquility Bay, has access to the water taxis, and I have read that the reef is about a 15-30 min. kayak paddle from the shore. Plus, in the off-season, hotels are are less expensive -- you get a lot for what you pay! Aside from kayaking out to the reef, there are a number of tours, some of them as low as $25-$40 a person, some of them over $200 a person.

Good luck! Sounds like all your destination options sound great!

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
San Pedro
San Pedro
Ambergris Caye, Belize
X'tan Ha Resort
X'tan Ha Resort
675 Reviews
Ambergris Caye, Belize
Tranquility Bay Resort