We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

…basically i can't swim! I was recently looking at a holiday that include certain sites in Central America i wanted to see like Tikal and some other Mayan ruins. However, it turned out that a fair bit of time will be spent at Caye Caulker. Honestly, it looks like an amazing island and beach area. But problem is i can't swim. Moreover, I do plan to learn or get better at some point but just not now. Will i be able to make the most of the trip now or shall i comeback to this trip later?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

We just got home from a trip that concluded with a week on Caye Caulker. maybe my blog post will give you ideas of what's on offer in addition to snorkeling and diving.

…blogspot.com/2014/04/last-stop-caye-caulker…

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,675 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

I can swim, but, not very well, and, I don't get in the water very often. Just returned from three months on Ambergris. I could easily spend time on Caulker as well, without ever getting in the water. Although, you really don't have to swim very well to enjoy snorkeling. Advise the guide of your lack of swimming ability, and, they'll stay close and give you a vest.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

The island is really incredible. I mean its not often your in a place where even the roads are sand and gravel. Remember that Belize is huge on the environment meaning protected turtle grass everywhere reef systems and such so you don't swim just off shore much anyways. I would advise taking a trip to Hol Chan and yes advising the company about your skill level. But the main point I want to bring to your attention is "the split" this is the main gathering and swimming area on Caulker, just be very careful if you swim in the split as there is a strong'ish current. I am a very strong swimmer/diver and lost a family member to water years ago so do my best to keep people safe. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

You can always wade in the shallow water to cool down.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

Hopefulist - I just saw your link for your blog here. I've been waiting to see your pics/read about your trip! Where was that tarpon caught?! Was it off of Colinda's dock?? I loved looking at all of your pics - awesome! Another question - what camera(s) do you shoot with again? I believe you use a DSLR? If so...I know that you've traveled extensively in Central America - any recommendations on what to do with humidity? When I used my camera in Costa Rica in the jungle last year it seemed to fog my lens and not get clear while we were there.

Didn't you go to some other spots on this trip to Belize also?

We're sooooo excited for our trip at the end of June! We'll be heading to the SI area first and then CC.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

Hi, Nicole -

Yes, baby tarpon was off the Colinda Cabañas dock at dusk; we saw them feeding there the 1st 3 nights but not the last 4.

If you click the blog link above, then hit "Older Post" at the bottom you can see the 4 other posts for our March trip or you can pick them from the archive on the right. I have the photo collection up not, too:

https:/…collections

My beloved camera is a Panasonic Zs3 compact super zoom. When they stopped making that particular model the dive casings dropped in cost by 80% so I bought 1 of those, too. You can get desiccant packets that will help dry your camera if you open it up and stick the packets and the camera in a ziplock bag. I think the main problem is having air conditioning and taking a cold camera out into the humidity. My backup camera is a Fuji XP which is waterproof; that's what I take out if I think it might be esp humid/rainy as well as for rafting, snorkeling, etc.

Happy trails!

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
578 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

Hi Hopefulist - Huh! I totally thought you had a DSLR for some reason. That little compact takes great pics! About 3 years ago I purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS10 to take on our first trip to Costa Rica. I took that plus my Nikon D300S along on the trip. I love the photo quality of my DSLR and didn't want to be without it. On that trip we went to Mal Pais on the Nicoya Peninsula and La Fortuna (inland) by Arenal Volcano. We were in rooms with AC and then super hot humid outside. I never had problem at all with the DSLR. The Lumix was another thing! It worked great at first - took it ziplning, to the beach, snorkeling and it was great. However, after a day of snorkeling and then going ziplining the next day it suddenly started to fog up in the lens and wouldn't clear. All of our photos from it after that look really foggy. Then it just stopped working. I didn't even have it a year. I also bought a Nikon AW120 last year for our 2nd trip to Costa Rica - on the southern Caribbean side near Puerto Viejo. I did not try that camera under the water, even though it was waterproof. I was worried after my Lumix experience. My DSLR had major fogging problems on this trip. We were NOT in a place with AC - just a little bungalow with outdoor air to flow through. Several times when I took my camera outside to take pics it got very foggy. Granted it was much more humid on this side of CR, however, I know there are other people who shot with DSLRs in this cases. I think I'll start a new thread about it to see what people say...

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,848 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

My little Panasonic has been so awesome I purchased the same model again after they quit making it. I do stick it in a ziplock with desiccant packets occasionally each trip, but that's about it. Here's what it looks like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lumix+zs3&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS503US504&es_sm=91&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XuNKU6jmGKqdyQHlr4DwAg&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1019&bih=468

I wouldn't consider a larger camera on my travels, partly for discretion as I'm most usually in the Guatemala highlands and don't want to be so obvious, partly because I like to pack really light, and partly because I'm happy with the 12x zoom and the quality of the photos.

alberta
Level Contributor
559 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

you really are not going to swim too much past the docks anyways

floating is just fine...bring a cool floatie fr home and donate it to a local charity for auction when you are done

seriously

packing a few fun things to enjoy is easy and you can share the love , or NOT the love of swimming, after the fact

from almost every caye you need to take a boat to visit the reef...there are some sweet spots closer in on CC

even when taking a tour....if you can push through a crowded mall..you can snorkel a reef... slow is the way to go....not an endurance sport but more a relaxed way to enjoy some amazing reef life...float and push through

a good guide will help you through

many nice docks to *float* off of on caye caulker... meet a local and visit the one with the tarpon...THAT is super cool to swim in

relax and have fun

:-)

Edited: 17 April 2014, 08:04
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
128 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Caye Caulker Worth Visiting if….

I would go to CC. Even on the snorkel trips that go a few miles out, the water is only 4' deep. You can stand and have nurse sharks and rays swimming all around you. I would go for the view alone...