We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

Me and a bunch of backpacker mates are thinking of a trip to Caye Caulker for a few nights next month. We are going to bus from Tulum to Chetumal and are considering either continuing busing to Belize City and taking a water taxi from there or taking a water taxi straight from Chetumal. I have read a lot about different immigration fees when going straight from Mexico including a tourist fee and a possible port fee..

Has anyone done this recently or can provide guidance on which option is better suited. We are on a fairly tight budget so just don't want to come across any surprise fees while in transit.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

How did you enter Mexico?

When you entered Mexico, you should have received a tourist form/card called an FMM. There is a fee (known as the DNI fee) of 306 pesos to pay for the card which must be paid before departing Mexico. Many airlines include the fee with the ticket price, so there's nothing more to pay anywhere in Mexico. If you entered Mexico at a land border, you probably have not paid the fee -- the fee must be paid before leaving Mexico.

Whether you leave Mexico at the land border or the water taxi port, Mexican Immigration officials now seem to ask for the fee from all visitors departing Mexico. If you have proof that you've already paid the fee (eg. airline receipt showing the fee code), then you might have to show it so you don't have to pay the fee again. If you can't prove that you've already paid the fee, you'll probably end up paying it. There is no departure fee.

The port is about US$5 and collected by the water taxi company -- I think it's now included in the water taxi fare.

The water taxi from Chetumal is now over US$50 to Caye Caulker.

a) San Pedro Water Jets International:

http://www.sanpedrowatertaxi.com/index.html

b) San Pedro – Belize Express:

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/

The Belizean bus from Chetumal to BC is about BZ$12 (US$6).

Water taxis from BC...

a) Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association

This service operates from the Caye Caulker Water Taxi terminal on North Front Street beside the Swing Bridge in Belize City.

http://ccwatertaxi.com/

b) San Pedro – Belize Express Water Taxi

This service operates from the Brown Sugar Market at 111 North Front Street, a few hundred metres from the CCWT terminal.

http://www.belizewatertaxi.com/#!home/mainPage

There's also an ADO express bus from Cancun to BC. It stops at Playa del Carmen and Tulum on the way to BC.

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

Thanks for your help. We are arriving by plane so the fee is included in the ticket. Would you suggest the water taxi straight from chetumal or from BC?

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

Which way you go depends on YOUR priority. The water taxi from Chetumal is quicker, easier but a bit more expensive. The bus takes 3 to 4 hours from Chetumal to BC (and the Belizean buses are old school buses and not very comfortable), but the bus fare is cheaper and water taxis from BC go to CC every couple of hours until about 5pm.

To avoid paying any unnecessary fees at the border, bring an airline receipt that shows that the Mexican tourist/visitor's fee has been paid. It will appear as a "UK" code and be approximately US$20 to $25.

Wales
Level Contributor
222 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

Mister B, do you suggest prebooking ferry tickets online or just pay on arrival?

Any help would be great thankyou.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

In August, tourist numbers are down a bit, so I wouldn't reserve tickets in advance.

Lillooet, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

The water taxi fees are getting more and more and more expensive every time I travel. (every couple of months)

Instead of taking the boat; I would suggest arranging a transfer from the ADO station to the airport in Corozal.

A good transfer operation is " Get transfers" out of Corozal

Then take a plane from the Corozal airport to San Pedro and a water taxi to Caye Caulker.

Maya Island air has a special on right now (I think)

>

The previous poster mentioned the Mexican 306 peso departure fee.

If you can show a print-out or ticket receipt from your airline specifically showing this tax has been paid; you do not need to pay.

Otherwise - Pay up........

Good luck.....

Colinda

Pensacola FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

You can also show them the airline receipt on your smartphone. I had saved the email with the receipt. I accessed the screen through the wifi connection at the Chetumal ferry ticket office next door. (There's probably a more efficient techie way.) The port immigration authority waived the fee.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

The smartphone method can't always be relied on -- it worked for one friend, but not another.

Edited: 17 February 2015, 15:57
Pensacola FL
Level Contributor
7 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

It was worth a try -- and successful -- for me as I didn't have a paper receipt even at my hotel. But I understand how the system can be unpredictable.

Edited: 17 February 2015, 17:29
Caribbean
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chetumal to Caye Caulker by water taxi

Yes, anything is worth a try. One friend just kept arguing until the Immigration Officer finally gave up.

Edited: 17 February 2015, 18:22