We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health of patch reefs

Awendaw, South...
1 post
Save Topic
Health of patch reefs

We are considering going to Glover's atoll. We really like the set up. However, we are worried that the patch reefs are degraded -- i.e. grey and white instead of colorful.

Any information would be helpful.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health of patch reefs

We've found the snorkeling and diving out there to be AMAZING - lots of variety and color, cool small stuff like juvenile spotted drums and toad fish and big stuff like spotted eagle rays and huge nurse sharks, the works!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Health of patch reefs

Haven't been out to Glovers but we've been twice to Turneffe, where I would assume that the same conditions exist. The reefs on T are vibrant, colorful, healthy, full of fish and hard and soft corals. You couldn't ask for better. I don't know how easy the reef is to access from Glovers. I read a lot about how the world's reefs are being degraded, and I have seen some areas that are in trouble, but they are localized, not a trend that I can see. I have visited the exact same spots around the Caribbean and have seen coral reestablishing itself after hurricanes and other trauma. i've seen a lot of trauma from boats and people and hurricanes, but very little evidence of bleaching. A lot of the deeper reefs off Mexico and Belize and Honduras have corals covering every inch of available space, a coral zoo. Coral species fighting it out to occupy each inch.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health of patch reefs

I've gotten to dive most of the reef, and while the northern and southern parts have some slight degradation, the rest seems quite healthy. Quite a healthy diversity of coral too. Enjoy it!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,206 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health of patch reefs

I was down at Glover's in June. Lots of gorgonians and soft corals all over the place. More Flamingo Tongues in one day than I have ever seen in my entire life. There's a Flickr link to a lot of underwater photos from Glover's on the Belize post I recently did, including a lot of snorkeling on the tiny patches in front of Off the Wall.

I was in Bonaire in March - the reef condition doesn't come close to comparing with Glover's - although there were a lot of exotic fish!

suitcaseready.com

5. Re: Health of patch reefs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2016, 22:15