We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ambergris or Caulker?

Alexandria, Virginia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ambergris or Caulker?

Wanted to get people's take on Ambergris Caye vs. Caye Caulker. I'll be staying on the Glover Reef Atoll and South Water Caye for a week doing volunteer research work with sharks and should have plenty of down time to snorkel. For the 3 remaing days before my flight back to the states I had hoped to stay somewhere a little different. Preferances are towards a place with a mellow but upbeat vibe, opportunities for souvenir shopping and sampling local libations (the more authentic the better, both drinks and souvenirs), possibly a trip to the Mayan ruins and more snorkeling. I've read that Caye Caulker may not be as safe as Ambergris and as a single female traveler this is something I'm concerned about. Thoughts, opinions, and suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited: 02 April 2011, 23:45
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ambergris or Caulker?

Have you considered Hopkins? It certainly is a friendly "authentic" little village. It is situated so that visits into Cockscomb or Mayflower can be a day trip. Or, you can just chill out, walk around, have a beer, visit the fantastic bakery..... I love that town.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ambergris or Caulker?

I'd think Caulker, since smaller, would be more safe, although they are both safe.

I would also suggest checking out Hopkins first and foremost. You can dance in a Garifuna drum circle, eat amazing food that you won't be able to spell, and have never heard of, and get one of the best village vibes along the coast.

Have a great time!

3. Re: Ambergris or Caulker?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 01:15