We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why the big $ diff- Blackbird's vs Turneffe Is Lodge?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Why the big $ diff- Blackbird's vs Turneffe Is Lodge?

Veteran Carib traveler, planner and Trip Advisor member here. Yet, I am completely befuddled by the apparently huge disparity in prices Turneffe Island Lodge vs Blackbird, and we are comparing comparable accommodations, hi season rates, etc. OK all you pros, really need your help here-- what am I missing? I've read every post on both properties for the past 2 years, seen all the photos and YouTubes, combed thru the respective web sites and still, I don't get it. Thx so much!

5 replies to this topic
Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why the big $ diff- Blackbird's vs Turneffe Is Lodge?

i can't believe no one has responded to this question over one months time..i , too, am interested in a detailed answer. at first glance TIR appears more appealing. the differences i have discovered via online are #1] coffee is delivered to tour room at 6:30 as opposed to making your own coffee at BCR #2] the food seems to be excellent at TIR as opposed to ok at BCR. also possibly more plentiful at TIR. #3] drinks are a little less expensive at BCR (just a little).. my main conceren is...IS THE SNORKELING THE SAME?? a litle help please..thank you

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
83 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why the big $ diff- Blackbird's vs Turneffe Is Lodge?

Putting on my Marketer hat: methinks the price disparity is grounded in just that-- marketing. TIF has been established longer (at least as an active advertiser and self-promoter), the property is, I think, just a bit more "upscale" (in the context of non-4-or-5-star Carib accommodations "upscale"). BB is far more approachable in communications, friendly and is really cranking up the social media marketing to put themselves on the map, which I applaud, even as I rue more traffic to the islands, in general, because with it comes the costs of over-development, a pattern seen throughout the world. ANYway, I chose BB because my emails were responded to, their forms actually work, TA reviews have been consistently positive, and I believe TIL is a bit full of themselves by insisting that guests do NOT bring in alcohol. I'm not even a drinker but that sort of restriction is, to me, indicative of an attitude I simply refuse to PAY to support during my vacation from the arrogance, rudeness and presumptuousness we deal with every day in our work lives!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,006 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why the big $ diff- Blackbird's vs Turneffe Is Lodge?

Let us know how your stay at BB is pls. I have not been there since they refurbished and say they now have responsible mgmt staff in place.

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why the big $ diff- Blackbird's vs Turneffe Is Lodge?

well said HomeGirl.i feel the same way..my wife and i would love to go in july for a week..i'm praying i can still get a fair deal for then..i also read that they "force" you to follow the snorkel guide in a line at TIR..i'm hoping it is a little less strict at BB..when do you plan to go??

5. Re: Why the big $ diff- Blackbird's vs Turneffe Is Lodge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2013, 15:15

Reply to: Why the big $ diff- Blackbird's vs Turneffe Is Lodge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted