We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

Flying into B.C. for 10 days, would like to stay on mainland 3 days before we head over to A.C.

Sounds like there is a lot to do near San Ingacio, so should we rent a car to get there or just a bus shuttle to get there and then do tours from there? If car rental, are they by the airport? when we come back to take the water taxi over to A.C. where is that located at?

Where is ATM Tour located at? Mainland or A.C.

Thanks

P.S. Is there gin in Belize or is it all rum???

8 replies to this topic
Yucatan Peninsula...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
9,030 posts
1. Re: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

If your budget allows, car rental gives you more freedom. You can rent at the airport. But many visitors use a transfer service (private shuttle) and use public buses or join tours.

At San Ignacio, some activities can be done on your own, and some require tours. If you do a cave tour, the tour company will provide transportation. You can see a couple of Mayan sites (Xunantunich and Cahal Pech) on your own, and drive throughout the region -- maybe visit the Mennonite community at Spanish Lookout.

When you rent the car, ask about where to drop it off. They should let you drop it off at their office in Belize City, and then they will probably drive you to the water taxi terminal. Otherwise, get a taxi.

Both water taxi terminals are located on North Front Street. Ocean Ferry is right at the Swing Bridge, and the other one is a few hundred metres farther along the street.

The ATM cave is located on the mainland. Join a tour to see it. Try Pacz Tours in San Ignacio (they have a website).

Travellers Liquors, a Belizean distillery, makes a gin. I've never had it...

http://www.onebarrelrum.com/gin

Edited: 19 February 2017, 00:07
Level Contributor
15 posts
2. Re: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

take a review at the blog here for car rental https:/… you may find it useful

SE CT
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

Multiple car rental agencies are available at the airport. We rented for two days from Budget at the airport and returned the car to the Belize City location. Budget then drove us to the bus station for onward travel. Driving to San Ignacio is easy. There are several Mayan sites around San Ignacio (Xunantunich and Cahal Pech), but the largest and most impressive is Caracol which is about a 90 minute drive away. It is feasible to drive yourself to Caracol but you do have to check in and out at the military facility, as there is no cell phone coverage.

Although ATM is also about a 45 minute drive from San Ignacio, access to the caves is controlled and I believe that you have to go there on an organized tour rather than are able to go yourself. The transfer services are relatively expensive on a per head basis and I believe that if you have 2 or more people a rental car will be cheaper and provide more flexibility. We paid about $45/day.

SE CT
Level Contributor
4 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

Multiple car rental agencies are available at the airport. We rented for two days from Budget at the airport and returned the car to the Belize City location. Budget then drove us to the bus station for onward travel. Driving to San Ignacio is easy. There are several Mayan sites around San Ignacio (Xunantunich and Cahal Pech), but the largest and most impressive is Caracol which is about a 90 minute drive away. It is feasible to drive yourself to Caracol but you do have to check in and out at the military facility, as there is no cell phone coverage.

Although ATM is also about a 45 minute drive from San Ignacio, access to the caves is controlled and I believe that you have to go there on an organized tour rather than are able to go yourself. The transfer services are relatively expensive on a per head basis and I believe that if you have 2 or more people a rental car will be cheaper and provide more flexibility. We paid about $45/day.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
5. Re: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

- Sounds like there is a lot to do near San Ingacio, so should we rent a car to get there or just a bus shuttle to get there and then do tours from there?

I have always rented a car because I like the freedom, however if you're just there for 3 days then I don't think it's a requirement. Most all tours leave from San Ignacio, and will pick you up from your hotel. You can either go with a shuttle, or book a flight for about $100 each direction.

- If car rental, are they by the airport?

Yes! Super easy - you'll walk out of the airport and cross the road right where you come out. As you cross you'll walk right into a large parking lot. This is the rental car lot. Cross the lot and you will be right at all of the rental car agency offices. You can see the agencies from the airport as you walk out.

- when we come back to take the water taxi over to A.C. where is that located at?

It's about a 15-20 minute drive from where you would return your rental car, and about a $20us taxi fare to get there. Just tell your taxi driver you want the water taxi to ambergris caye, and they'll know exactly where to take you. There are actually 2 separate water taxis, if you know which one you want let them know... otherwise I just tell them to take me to the one they prefer.

Where is ATM Tour located at? Mainland or A.C.

- It's mainland, and the tours will leave from San Ignacio. You have to take a tour to get in, and I highly recommend Maya Walk tours mayawalk.com.

- Is there gin in Belize or is it all rum???

I've never looked for it, so not positive you'll find it in the stores. However, you should be able to grab some at the Duty Free store in the airport before you head out.

Here's a series of Belize travel tips I've written that you may find helpful in your planning: www.ridebze.com/travel-guide-for-belize/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

oooh and if you're interested in some of my favorite San Ignacio things to do, here's a blog post I wrote with my experiences: www.ridebze.com/travel-to-san-ignacio-belize/

Camarillo, CA
Level Contributor
73 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

Does anyone have info on Car One Rentals? They advertise that they include insurance. I'm wondering if that's CDW? Thanks!

Level Contributor
11 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?

Whatever you do - do not use the Belize Car Rental company https://www.belizeautorental.com - your life depends on it! We rented an SUV from them to travel from Belize City to San Ignacio and after travelling only 2 hours on paved roads and 1 mile on a dirt road, the rusted suspension broke and the back wheel FELL OFF as we were driving! We were so lucky not to be going very fast and therefore not injured. The company says we shouldn't have been on that road but they actually gave us a map to our destination. The company refused to give us our money back even after sending us an email that said they were sorry for giving us an old, unsafe vehicle. They may have cheaper rates, but this company is NOT a reputable rental company in any way!

Reply to: Advice on car rental or shuttle bus or taxi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted