We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize City Nightlife

Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Belize City Nightlife

Hi Belize City Natives/Fellow Travellers,

We need some advice for a night stay at Belize City. We are arriving at 6ish on 22nd November (Wednesday) and taking a Maya Air flight next afternoon at either 1 or 4 (I am yet to book this) to Dangria for Thatch Caye Resort.

Wanted to check which area we should live in. We are thinking of Air BNB on Barrack Road near Elements Bar.

Also, how safe is the city during night? Is the area we are planning on staying good for a walk by the beach, and are there any places with music/dance that we could go to at night?

Also, wanted to check if it'll be more advisable to take the later flight to Dangriga, so we could at least have a lazy morning, and do some walking arounds and have a heavy breakfast. Just needed some recommendations for places to stay and if the plan sounds right or if there are any red flags.

2 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Level Contributor
8,884 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize City Nightlife

Book the 1pm Maya Island Air flight -- I'm guessing you might want to get out of the city as soon as possible. I assume you are flying from the Municipal airport in the city -- it's cheaper than going back to International for a flight.

Nov 22 is a Wednesday -- I don't think there will be much live music anywhere, but your AirB&B host might know more.

That area of the city is the safer area, but I wouldn't go out walking at night. Use taxis if you go out. There's no beach at Belize City, but you can walk along the foreshore (just not at night). One afternoon, I was approached and offered a gun to buy.

I think there are a couple of nightclubs in that area of the city, but I'd avoid them. I've read about too many incidents.

As for seeing the city, I've posted a typical walking tour several times, but there really isn't a lot to see or do -- the Belize Museum, the House of Culture, an old church, the Swing Bridge. An hour in the downtown area might be enough.

One idea upon arrival would be to have the taxi driver drive you through the downtown area just so you can see it and decide if you want to see more. It should add only about 10 minutes to your trip from the airport to the B&B.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize City Nightlife

Or stay at a lodge just outside of town and have time for the zoo, baboon sanc, cave tubing and zip, birding, Maya site

Reply to: Belize City Nightlife
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belize City