We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time is needed for international departures?

Level Contributor
9 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
How much time is needed for international departures?

I have a flight that is departing from BZE in December on a Tuesday at 1:50PM. My husband and I will be coming from San Pedro and I am having trouble deciding whether to catch the 10:00AM (arrives at 10:15AM) or 11:00AM (arrives at 11:15AM) on the local hopper flight. If we take the 11:00AM (arrives at 11:15AM) will we have enough time to get our bags and check them, and get through security? Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Caribbean
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time is needed for international departures?

Flights to USA: airlines advise passengers to check-in 3 hours before departure time, but you should be OK with 2.5 to 3 hours before departure time.

Edited: 01 November 2017, 03:58
New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time is needed for international departures?

Airlines always advise the same no matter where you are, as it's in their best interest.

You rarely actually need that much time though — which is what OP's question is about?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,518 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time is needed for international departures?

2 of our last 3 departures from BZE we've needed nearly 3 hours - long lines at the check in desks and really detailed scrutiny through security which slowed up the process. Sometimes it's not an issue, though - depends on an individual's risk tolerance.

Caribbean
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,903 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time is needed for international departures?

I don't know if this is true, but I read another post that stated that check-in closes 1 hour before departure for security screening of the passenger list.

Reply to: How much time is needed for international departures?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted