We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Philip SW Goldson Airport to Punta Gorda

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel from Philip SW Goldson Airport to Punta Gorda

I am traveling to Belize, Punta Gorda next month and have no idea how to get to Punta Gorda. I see a few of the other messages but nothing really about getting to my destination. I am a female traveling alone so safety is the upmost concern.

5 replies to this topic
Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Philip SW Goldson Airport to Punta Gorda

I need to know this information also. I will be traveling to Punta Gorda next month.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,530 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Philip SW Goldson Airport to Punta Gorda

You can fly from BZE to Punta Gorda on Maya Island Air or Tropic Air (if you google ‘taco girl tropic air discount’ you can find a 10% off coupon for Tropic Air flights).

If you take a taxi (they wait outside the airport) to the municipal airport (TZA) it's a little cheaper to fly from there but the taxi will cost $25USD. Same taxi cost to the bus station but it's a long trip that would include a change of bus in Belmopan and possibly another.

You could also hire a private driver to take you the whole way but I think the flights might be cheaper and certainly quicker. Loads of schedules and links and names of drivers here: www.belizebus.wordpress.com

We have loved our visits to Punta Gorda and Toledo District. Enjoy!

Caribbean
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,929 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Philip SW Goldson Airport to Punta Gorda

If you want to go by bus, get a taxi to the bus terminal in BC and get a James Bus Line bus. James buses go from BC to PG so no changes are necessary anywhere. The bus stops at Belmopan, Dangriga and Independence before continuing to PG.

The last bus of the day leaves BC at 3:45 and arrives at PG at 8:45 pm (Mon-Sat). Buses are generally safe.

If you're too late for the last James Bus, you might get a bus to the Belize Zoo and stay a night at their Jungle Lodge, or go as far as you can -- maybe to San Ignacio for a night (it's a bit off course, but not a bad place to stay).

The other info above is correct.

To save money on the taxi fare, before exiting the airport terminal, look around for another person going to the same place and share the taxi fare (don't let the driver know you're doing this).

Caribbean
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,929 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Philip SW Goldson Airport to Punta Gorda

Forgot to add the link to the James Bus schedule..

https://www.hickatee.com/james-bus-timetable

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
1,037 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Philip SW Goldson Airport to Punta Gorda

We stayed in Punta Gorda once and we flew there from the domestic airport in Belize City. It definitely took less than an hour.

Reply to: Travel from Philip SW Goldson Airport to Punta Gorda
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted