We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

belize with kids

North Carolina
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
belize with kids

We're planning on traveling to Belize April 2010 with 3 kids (ages 14, 9 and almost 6). Would like to see both beach and ruins/rainforest but havent' made plans yet. Any suggestions as to where to stay and how to go about it? I've seen quite a bit about Jaguar Reef which looks good but want more input.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: belize with kids

Jaguar Reef is now owned by their neighboring hotel, Almond Beach, in Hopkins, and is 10 miles from the reef, on mainland beach. Its a 45 mins drive for hiking, waterfalls and river tubing in the Jaguar Preserve, but a long drive to Mayan sites, so you might want to consider spitting your trip between the beach and spending time further inland at a lodge closer to sites, cave, river and horse trips, butterfly farms and cultures.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: belize with kids

If you want a lively place with nightlife, although not much in the way of beaches, then Ambergris Caye.

Also close to good scuba and snorkeling.

For best access to ruins, jungle adventure, a Lodge in the Cayo district around San Ignacio is best.

Hopkins/Sittee river are very quiet, cute, not much to do, have beaches. Maybe a bit too quiet for a family.

For beaches, good value accomodation and a nice family friendly environment, Placencia - which also has snorkeling and scuba and of course fishing and cayes.

Toledo has Mayan culture, the best fishing imho, small Mayan ruins and the chocolate (cacao) trail.

Mentioned in this post
Ambergris Caye
Ambergris Caye
Belize Cayes, Belize
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: belize with kids

I think Ambergris has very nice beaches. Soft white sand, clear blue water. They just aren't very wide, and there are lots of piers.

There are also a couple of piers that have pretty good snorkeling on the artificial reefs that are there. I see something new almost every time I get in the water at Caribbean Villas. I haven't been to Ramon's pier for awhile, I'm guessing there is still decent snorkeling.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
783 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: belize with kids

I agree with Katie. Jaguar Reef is great for the beach and jungle tours but much too far for a day trip to major Mayan ruins. Spend a day or two in the Cayo District for that part of your trip. Jaguar Reef is perfect for snorkeling/scuba diving and the best location for day trips to Cockscomb or Ian Anderson's. You can also ride their bikes into the Garifuna village of Hopkins or along the lush Sittee River.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: belize with kids

For your ruins and jungle part, you'll probably want to stay in Cayo. Many activities for the young ones. They might love the iguana hatchery, and the nature trail that leads to it. They can see all the baby iguanas, and actually have them put all over them. Just google 'nature trail iguana hatchery' If your family likes jungle activities, there are tons to do here. From hiking to biking to ruins to tubing.

If you'll be in Cayo for a while, check out the Best of Cayo site for the best places to eat, shop, play, stay, tour, etc. at http://www.bestofcayo.com

I would think you might like Caulker a little more than San Pedro since it's more laid back.

Have a great vacation!

6. Re: belize with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 17:05
7. Re: belize with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Belize City