We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Ship Stop....suggestions????

Apollo Beach...
Level Contributor
237 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Ship Stop....suggestions????

Will be stopping in Belize City for a cruise stop soon. Have about 9 hours in port and I'd love to know something to do that is just a "do not miss". If it happens to be off the beaten path that's aok. I'd like to avoid being herded around the "tourist" spots with my fellow ship passengers.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Ship Stop....suggestions????

If you want to head out on your own, you will find plenty of tour guides ready to take you on your own, rather than with the preorganised and more expensive regimented tours off the ship.

For a cheap fun day, walk five minutes from the cruise ship terminal to the water taxis, and take a taxi to Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye, (CC quieter, AC busier and larger) where you can have a nice day on one of our islands just having fun.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Ship Stop....suggestions????

While it is a cruise ship excursion, Jaguar Paw cave tubing and zip lining is fantastic. If you do it yourself, you can save a lot of money, and even beat your fellow travelers. What we did when coming here on a cruise was to team up with another couple or 2, and have a taxi driver with a van take us to Jaguar Paw - you can hire a guide there. We saved around 70% from what the cruise was asking!

Enjoy!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Ship Stop....suggestions????

Also if you hire a local guide rather than book through the ship, the money stays in Belize with a small family company or individual rather than gets paid to a US corporation.

Orlando
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Ship Stop....suggestions????

Do you remember how much you paid for the taxi ride to the cave, and how much you paid for the tubing once you got there?

Thank you!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,768 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Ship Stop....suggestions????

It was years ago, so I don't remember, sorry. But we did haggle, and I think haggling was expected.

6. Re: Cruise Ship Stop....suggestions????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Belize City