We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime out of control in Belize City?

Hilo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
170 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Crime out of control in Belize City?

I've never been one of those 'paranoid' American travelers that never venture outside of the policed tourist zones... I've always liked to wander off the beaten path and explore new areas that are far from the trendy tourist areas. I've been reading the local news in Belize City (channel 5 belize.com)lately and it seems like robberies, murders and other slayings are out of control right now. I was going to spend a couple of days aimlessly wandering around Belize City with my wife, but now I'm not sure if that's a good idea ? I don't want to be the scare-d-cat tourist, but at the same time I'm just worried about my wife's safety...

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,433 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

Crime is bad in certain parts of Belize City and even though most is limited to gang on gang crimes in certain neighborhoods, I would take taxi's, certainly at night, and to and from certain sections. I live in the city and move around and come and go at will, but I am aware of where I should not venture. There are manhy other great areas of the country to visit. Belize City does have the Museum that is worth visiting and nice to see how people live in the main city and old capital. But look for other areas to base where you can walk around freely and explore.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

Besides the museum, there really isn't anything to see in BC, so you might want to wander around one of the prettier areas of Belize. Believe me, there are more caves here that haven't been explored than have been. Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

Our Ship stopped in Belize so we went for a walk to see the City. My wife and I were looking at the City Hall building while our son went into a Chinese Restaurant across the street to buy a soda. When he came out I saw he was being followed and harassed by a number of shady looking charachters who quioky scattered when they saw me coming toward them.

Upon speaking with my son he told me that they were trying to sell him drugs and wanted him to buy them all beers. My son is 17 and although he tried to put on a brave face I could tell he was a little upset. This happened 2 minutes after leaving from the cruise ship terminal and right in front of City Hall!

Needless to say we decicded not to continue and returned to the safety of the terminal

Upon speaking with one of the locals in the Terminal we were informed that this is quite common and he was lucky they didn't pull a knife or gun and rob him.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

I walk around the City including the tourist area regularly and have never been subject to harassment such as you describe, but I am not a teenage boy.

I would not recommend anyone to wander around the City, it's not really a tourist place, you need to know where you are going and be street wise. Take a guided tour by all means, see the museum, the Cathedral and some of the pretty if battered old colonial houses.

Toursits are rarely if ever the victims of violent crime in Belize city, it is mainly gang warfare.

Should you ever get into a situation where you aren't happy, yell "Police, police" at the top of your lungs. I did it just once when I couldn't shake off a beggar and it worked like a charm. Good people came running to help!

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
69 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

We found some nice family run lodges in and around Belize City (D'Nest, Hotel Mopan, Conningsby Inn, Villa Boscardi) and used two of them for our first two nights and last two, as we lit out of the city around 8 each morning for some of the fantastic destinations in Belize (Xunantuniche, Altunha and Lamanay Maya ruins - with a river tour that was magic), and of course the canopy tour and cave tubing adventure that has to be the highlight of any stay in Belize. Finally we made it to the ATM, which was nothing short of fabulous. All was arranged by Major Tom and Minor Tom at cave-tubing.net. Three days at CC put the finishing touches on our stay with snorkeling, sailing, fishing and beach combing.

Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Villa Boscardi
Villa Boscardi
289 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
Belize
Belize
Central America
Maya Beach Hotel
Maya Beach Hotel
713 Reviews
Placencia, Belize
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,337 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

Birder- Which hotels did you choose?

I'm thinking of trying the Connigsby or Mopan instead of the usual Radisson (or the Great House) to be closer to Brodie's -and the street food market - for last minute shopping the night before I fly out, so I don't have to walk around as much! Im hoping they will still be selling cashews in June.

Not that Ive ever had a problem in Belize City other than harmless-seeming men nicely asking for money.

Edited: 23 April 2011, 19:11
Mentioned in this post
The Great House
The Great House
403 Reviews
Belize City, Belize
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Pocola, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
38 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

I see the residents in Belize are still doing the hear no evil, see no evil routine. I as well like to see how the natives live when i visit a different country. No can do there. Unless you want robbed or your hair parted permanently. I would never have traveled there if i knew the circumstances. Had to hole up in the room after dark and i could not enjoy myself at all because of the poor animals. Starving dogs laying on steps all over the country. I bought bread to feed them. Most were too far gone to eat. Mange was rampent. I saw a couple of dogs that was nothing but bloody bones they had scratched so much. If it was not for the crime and the pitiful animals, Belize would be an awesome place to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

Quote: "I was going to spend a couple of days aimlessly wandering around Belize City with my wife"

---------------------------------------

I would no more recommend that, than to have you and your wife wander aimlessly around many bad areas of the U.S.

Belize is a wonderful country full of the best nature has to offer, but I see nothing to recommend spending any time in Belize City. Imagine someone saying they wouldn't tour the U.S. because of the crime in parts of Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, Houston, LA, etc.? Just stay out of the bad parts and enjoy the good part.

Edited: 24 April 2011, 06:02
Mentioned in this post
Belize City
Belize City
Belize District, Belize
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

I can't imagine Belize being any worse than miami. First, to cross the border into the U.S. We were treated as terrorists first and as tourists second. Our car was almost ripped apart and the mess was left for us to clean up. Then my wife's friends were robbed twice in the week we spent visiting ft lauderdale. We were accosted by two other sets of low lifes will visiting Disney world. When filing police reports, the police seemed to care less and basically told us we were at fault for looking vulnerable. Last time I ever go to the U.S. I'll fly around it when I travel from now on.

Save Reply
10. Re: Crime out of control in Belize City?

I can't imagine Belize being any worse than miami. First, to cross the border into the U.S. We were treated as terrorists first and as tourists second. Our car was almost ripped apart and the mess was left for us to clean up. Then my wife's friends were robbed twice in the week we spent visiting ft lauderdale. We were accosted by two other sets of low lifes will visiting Disney world. When filing police reports, the police seemed to care less and basically told us we were at fault for looking vulnerable. Last time I ever go to the U.S. I'll fly around it when I travel from now on.