We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question on Belize International

Anoka, Minnesota
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Question on Belize International

We will be leaving Belize on March 25th to head home. That morning we will need to fly from Placencia to Belize International for a flight that leaves at 11:10 am. There are flights from Placencia to the airport at 6:55 am and 9:00 am.

Typically it says to be at the airport 2 hrs prior to departure. If we take the 9:00 and arrive at the airport around 9:45 from Placencia do you know if this will pose any issues or is the airport so small and quick that we should be fine?

Thanks for any info.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question on Belize International

I'm conservative with my travel times, I try and be there two hours early. It's faster than it used to be, they used to have to hand search every bag before you could check it.

it also depends on the airline. Last time I flew American (and every time before that), the departure tax isn't included. The line to pay that can be longer than the check in line. I don't remember if you get stuck in that line even if your tax is paid, I think you do. It's right before security.

You'd probably be fine with the 9am, but, if it's delayed at all, you won't make it.

Not worth the chance to me. It's not like you have to be at the placencia airport two hours ahead, so you won't be getting up in the middle of the night, even for the early flight.

NC
Destination Expert
for Raleigh
Level Contributor
762 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question on Belize International

I was just there last week and don't remember anything about a departure tax. We just went through a quick security and were in. Small airport. It seems that since you will already be through security that those times would be tight, but fine.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question on Belize International

I think they cut off international checkin is an hour out; if the flight from Placencia was delayed or you had to go out of security and back in you'd be sunk. I've traveled enough in CA to learn that cutting it close is often not worth the extra sleep.

Edited: 10 January 2012, 14:37
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,725 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question on Belize International

There is no security at the Placencia airstrip. You'll only do seccurity at BZE. I think American is the only airline where the departure tax isn't paid. Although my taxes were really high on my current ticket, maybe that's changed in the last year? Anyone flown American to Belize recently and not had to pay?

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question on Belize International

I agree get the earlier flight, you will only be hanging around waiting and fretting in Placencia. The airport has some reasonable shops air side, and the restaurant is upstairs, ground side, if you want to get breakfast before going through security etc. But then, I have been known to arrive at an airport before it is evven open LOL!

6. Re: Question on Belize International

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 10:20
Get answers to your questions about Belize City