We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

San Diego
8 posts
Save Topic
Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

My husband, two teenage children and I are traveling to Belize in June. For part of our vacation we will stay at Gumbo Limbo Lodge and then farther into the jungle at Black Rock Lodge. First, do we need a 4 wheel drive to get to the Black Rock Lodge and the adventure activities? I would be grateful for a recommendation of a good place in Belize City to rent a car once we arrive.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

Most of the rental vehicles I've seen do have 4wd. While I have 4wd on my vehicles, I rarely ever use it. Maybe once or twice a year, and usually for playing off road. I really doubt you'd have to have it, unless it just happened to rain a lot on the road to Caracol. I've been to BRL, and didn't use it.

I'd read some of the other threads when it comes to renting. Budget has been talked of well lately, and Crystal just the opposite, so I'd check Budget.

San Diego
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

This is great information. Thanks for your insight. We are very excited about our trip to Belize. It looks like a country that has everything we are looking for: adventure, excitement and a relaxing environment.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

Some rental cars do not have permission to go off pavement, avoid these. I disagree with the Doc, I use 4wd frequently, in fact, yesterday I needed it in the height of the dry season, just to get down my road. So, I would go for 4wd especially if you are not used to rough road driving. I only takes a downpour of rain to make roads here quite tricky.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

It does rain a lot more, exponentially more, down south in the sub-tropical rain forest than the upland savanah of MPR.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,384 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

We've rented two different summers both without 4wd. One summer was bone dry and one was pretty wet and we curtailed a few activities because of lacking 4wd. Get 4wd and then you don't have to worry about not having it.

6. Re: Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2012, 03:48
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

Some of the other forums meaning: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g291968-i2338-k458…

There is a response there that I've screen printed.

8. Re: Belize car rental. Do we need a 4 wheel drive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:41