We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
129 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

I have three questions.

Me and two friends are going to Belize City in late December.

We basically just go because we want to snorkle the Blue Hole and then get to Tikal, we will keep going south in Guatemala after Tikal.

So.

1. Can anyone recommend a diving/snorkling operator that has tours to the Blue hole. From Belize City.

2. How long time does it take to get to Flores in Guatemala?

Is there public buses, or should we go by a tour operator?

I know flying is the best way but if we disregard this option.

3. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Belize.

Price range about 20-30 USD per person/per night.

Hostel, Guesthouse is fine.

Sit & Sip Pedal Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours
Reggie's Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Lamanai Tours
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,201 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

Belize City is dodgy and I would not stay in a hostel in that price range here. For the Blue Hole, base on Caye Caulker or Ambergris. There is a shuttle bus between the Water Taxi marine terminal in Belize City to Flores near Tikal. www.belizeexplorer.com for room under $75.00 per night

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

Good advice above. In your price range I'd head to Caye Caulker but do note that Blue Hole trips are expensive, even for snorkelers, and require a minimum number of participants or the dive shops won't go. Here's another snorkel option you could consider - we loved it:

http://raggamuffintours.com/hol-chan-snorkel/

Another Belize highlight you might not want to miss:

http://pacztours.net/actun-tunichil-muknal/

A transportation blog that will help with the transitions:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

All my photos with links to trip reports, blogs, and reviews (lots of Guatemala, too):

flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

Thanks alot!

I totally missed out on Caye Caulker.

Our best option seems to be to go directly with a TAXI from the airport to the Marine Terminal and then grab a Water Taxi to Caye Caulker.

And from what I understand we can go to the Blue Hole from there as well.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

Yes, but keep in mind that the trips don't go every day and could cost hundreds per person, even for just snorkeling.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

look at things on gmaps and you tube to get a better visual

Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

1. Can anyone recommend a diving/snorkling operator that has tours to the Blue hole. From Belize City.

I'll send a private message about this.

2. How long time does it take to get to Flores in Guatemala?

I'd say the best way is with one of the 3 daily express buses from Belize City (water taxi terminal) to Flores. Trip time is about 5 hours.

For another option, you could get any Belizean bus to the border (a short taxi trip is required to complete the trip), walk across and then get a Guatemalan bus/taxi to your destination. That trip might be an hour or so longer.

The BelizeBus site has all the schedules & fares.

3. Can anyone recommend a good place to stay in Belize.

My first comment would be to avoid staying in Belize City, but if you must...

I think the cheapest good rooms are still:

Freddie’s Guest House, 86 Eve Street, Belize City, private room, shared bath. Cost: about BZ$55.

Three Sisters Guest House, Queen Street, Belize City. Very close to the water taxi terminals and the city center.

Smokin Balam Guesthouse, 59 North Front Street.

Depending on your arrival time, I'd try to get to Caye Caulker on the day you arrive -- see the BelizeBus site for links to water taxi (ferry) schedules.

There are two hostels on CC...

Yuma’s House, Caye Caulker (has a website), very popular and has some rules for security reasons. Always reserve in advance for Yuma's.

Bella’s Backpackers, Caye Caulker (has a website), more of a party hostel.

Camping

P. A. W. Cat Sanctuary, Caye Caulker -- cheap camping (has a website).

Lots of lower budget hotels on CC, but if you're arriving near Christmas or on a weekend, I'd think about reserving in advance.

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,760 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

Don't stay in BC. On CC, the Tropics is a cheap option, but there's also a few hostels that are really cheap. They are all listed here on TA. Check out PAW.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
129 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

Thanks for all the advise here.

Is it much hazzle to get over the border?

I would guess there is alot of tourist going there visiting the Maya ruins in Tikal.

Also are you aware if we need to pay the $35 exit fee if we go by bus and then walk the border and catch another bus on the other side to Flores.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

The border crossing is no "hazzle" and you will have to pay the departure fee of BZ$30 plus the PACT fee of BZ$7.50 (also payable in US$).

Prague
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Belize City, Snorkling and Tikal

Hi Hopefulist, I like your photos and posts, dude, you´ve traveled lot! Thanks for all the info at trip advisor. Could you please give me some advices. We ŕe flying to cancun and then traveling south all the way to Belize. We´ll have two weeks of time and our primary concern was snorkeling. Of course, I want to see some Maya ruins and taste the Mexican life too :-). Last year I´ve been to Indonesia and had nice snorkeling right in front of the hotel. I was wondering what would be the places here to stay for couple days and just go snorkeling whenever you feel like it, without hunting any trips and being dependent on someone else. I´ve seen your pictures from ¨Tranguilty bay and heard, that it is possible to snorkle from the shore there. I also heard of a place close to Tulum-mexico, where you can just walk into the water and see corals, tons of fish and even sea turtles. Of course, if you tell me, there is nothing like going on a trip - you mentioned HOL chan above - I will take the money and go, but I like it the way I described better. Also coming from Europe - I am on a budget, but like I said, if something is a must, I might find the money for it :-). I´ve been to Maui - Hawaii some time ago and snorkling on the shore was just amazing, going on a trip was a disaster. That is just an example, how things can turn out. What was the best snorkeling for you in belize or the above mentioned part of Mexico and Belize? I know I have already asked too much, but any other tips, places to visit for the same area? Thanks a lot and happy trips! petr

Get answers to your questions about Belize City