We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

I've been reading over these forums so forgive me if I'm the umpteenth newbie to ask this question, it's just that the threads I find here are all a few years old. First our info:

We are traveling in early April, 4 people, From Seattle to Ambergris Caye. We arrive from Dallas into BZE at 2:35pm. Returning, we have to get to Dallas for a 9:55 pm return flight home.

The folks at Tropic Air advised to book the 3:40 flight to San Pedro and if we are late they put us on the next one. So here are the questions:

What is the general order of things once our feet touch ground in Belize? Is it: Customs, Baggage, Duty Free, Board Tropic air? I realize that T.A. is mere feet from the customs area, but I'm more concerned with the flight home. If I've got to be on a plane in Dallas by 7:45 pm, when should I book my Tropic Air flight?

Do you go through customs at each airport? (Belize customs, then again in Dallas on the return trip)

Can you bring your normal stuff? make up, perfume, (yes in small bottles) Advil. Allergy meds. Will they let you bring your medication? Should it be packed in carry on or checked bags?

We were planning on bringing sunscreen, OFF repellent, etc (in a checked bag) Will customs confiscate it?

Can you give me an idea of how long it will take at customs on the return flights?

It says on the travel embassy forum for Belize that when we enter we have to have proof of a return ticket. I only have e-tickets with an itinerary and conf. code.

Can husband get luggage and I dash to duty free for coffee, booze and whatever? or does it move so fast we need to stay together?

Where do you put your duty free purchases (alcohol) on the Tropic Air plane?

Any other I.D. needed other than PP and Driver's license? (everyone in our party is over 18 but one)

*sigh* I think that covers it for now. LOL. I plan to pack very light but I want to bring my daily make up and perfume, advil, allgery meds, but not if they are going to be thrown out or delay us...

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

Feet on ground

Immigration

Baggage

Customs

Get Tropic Air flight from the same airport.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 23:02
Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

When leaving Belize, you should plan to be at International airport 2 to 3 hours before the departure time.

You won't go through Customs when you leave Belize. You will when you arrive in the USA.

Bring all your stuff. I wouldn't carry any liquids as carry-on.

The biggest delay at Customs is usually the queue, unless you get pulled aside for a more thorough inspection. Even then, that will be only a few minutes unless they do the cavity search.

It's usually the airline that wants to see the onward/return ticket. You won't have any problems in Belize.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 23:12
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

Even then, that will be only a few minutes unless they do the cavity search ......

LOL

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

Once you clear Customs and check into your Tropic Air flight, your duty free liquid purchases will have to go in checked luggage.

The Tropic planes are small, small roller bags that you can carry on for international flights will have to be checked when flying on Tropic.

What time does your international flight home depart from Belize City? You need to be at the airport two hours ahead of time.

Columbus, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

my connecting flight was from miami and my friends connecting flight was from dallas - both flights did not get our luggage to Belize. I would not reccomend checking a bag - everyone is on island time and i went 1.5 days w/o luggage and my friend went 2.5 days w/o luggage - it is a huge hassle to track your bag - my friends bag ended up on another airline Mayan Air and ended up in Placencia.

if you do check a bag - you can bring any sized sunscreen/off

the only coffe/food place in belize city airport is not very good...

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

You should have plenty of time to do inbound duty free - take advantage because you can save a lot. To avoid hassle, put all liquid in checked bags. Never heard of a problem with e-tickets. Have fun!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

If you buy liquor in the duty free shop, how do you pack it in the tiny tropic air flight? Just wrap it in a bunch of clothes? I picture it breaking and soaking our clothes...At that point we will have been traveling for 12 hours and I won't be amused.

I had planned on all 4 of us just bringing our carry on sized roll away bags and then 2 suitcases for the 4 of us (as checked baggage,under 30 lbs each) which will be basically empty except for the coffee, sun screen, off, and snorkel gear (since it's so bulky and would take up all the room in our carry on. I was just going to put the liquor and coffee in that suitcase. Is that what you all do?

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,505 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

We've transported a lot of booze in checked bags over the years, only had one bottle of rum break. It was our fault.....

Now, I bring large zip lock bags, sometimes even some bubble wrap. I do wrap it in lots of clothes. You'll probably want to take some time to rearrange your bags, so you can have your liquor well wrapped. Your small roller bags will have to be checked on Tropic.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

Cool, thanks, I had already planned on bringing zip locs ad towels. I actually DO have bubble wrap too LOL

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time Int'l traveler Q's (I feel like such a dork)

"What time does your international flight home depart from Belize City? You need to be at the airport two hours ahead of time."

Our flight departs Belize City at 3:40 pm So I need arrange our tropic air flight to depart San Pedro at 12:40? (assuming it's about a 45 minute flight) and arrive in Belize City by 1:40 Does that sound right?

Get answers to your questions about Belize City