We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
2 posts
Save Topic
cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

I am traveling with a friend to Belize/Guatemala in a couple weeks and would like to head to Flores directly after landing in Belize City then come back and spend the rest of our time in Belize. The problem is our flight arrives at 3:15, after all of the shuttles have departed for the day. Has anyone taken a private taxi the before and how much did it cost? I was quoted by two companies .$350 and $315 but that seems high seeing as a similar private taxi ride from Guatemala city Airport to Lake atitlan was only $80 and that was 5 hours as well. I'm wondering if once I get to the airport if there will be cheaper private taxis available? Thank you for any help!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

I'm always shocked at how much more the private shuttles are in Belize than in Guatemala as well as the relative lack of share shuttles. GUA to Atitlán is only about 3.5 hours unless traffic is bad and BZE to Flores is a good 5+ hours. I wouldn't count on negotiating a better price with a driver at the airport. You could check out the suggested shuttle drivers on the transportation site below - maybe 1 of them would be willing to make that late run for less than you've been quoted; I wouldn't count on that, either.

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

I did the trip in reverse with a group of friends 4 years ago (actually Tikal to Belize City) and the best price we found was with Adrenalina Tours - you could check with them.

www.adrenalinatours.com

I would give up the notion of getting to Flores or Tikal the 1st night, mainly because it gets dark by around 6pm and I wouldn't choose to travel that road in the dark. You could easily make it to San Ignacio the 1st night, then cross the border in the morning - you'd have lots of options then. Or stay in/near Belize City and take the express bus from the dock the next morning - info on that, too, in the 1st link, above. Happy trails!

Edited: 14 August 2013, 10:08
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

Email me at info@jmbelizetravel.com and let me know what date are you landing in Belize.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

If those prices are US$, it sounds high to me, but remember it's about a 4 hour trip to Flores, crossing a border, gasoline is expensive in Belize, and it's a shuttle company (presumably with a good vehicle), not a taxi driver. There are more transfer services -- if you want a "shuttle", keep looking.

If you got a taxi from the airport, I'd say that they would be cheaper, but might only go as far as the border. I'd guess the taxi fare to the border would be something like BZ$200 to $300. After crossing the border yourself, get a Guatemalan taxi. The fare from the border to Flores is in the order of US$50.

I just had a look at the Tropic Air website. There's a flight at 16:40 from BZE to Flores for US$128.50.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

Hey, good point, Mister - the flight would be the way to go. Kayla, I'd book it in advance and speed your way through BZE by flying carryon only and sitting near the front, shouldn't be a problem unless your flight is significantly delayed. www.onebag.com

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

Thank you so much everyone! After all the taxes and fees it looks like it's about$180 each to fly. It sounds like the best option if the cab is really going to be that expensive, I'm just so nervous about missing the flight because i have to check any bags with tropic air beforeflying with them. We'll see if we make it!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,157 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

Checking bags on the Tropic Air flight will probably just be putting them on the rack as you board the plane - at least it's been that way for us on flights between locations in Belize. If you fly carryon only into BZE you shouldn't have a problem unless your flight in is very delayed.

Caribbean
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

It's a small airport and the Tropic Air check-in is a short walk after picking up your luggage and going through Customs.

8. Re: cost for private taxi from Belize City to Flores? ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 07:18