We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving with our dog to Belize

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warkworth, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Moving with our dog to Belize

My husband and I have made the decision to move to Belize. We have a dog that we want to bring with us, but I am unsure of the necessary documentation I need. I seem to be going in circles on-line and cannot find anything definitive! Frustrating to say the least. I would be flying from Toronto with the dog. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this information? I would be interested to hear about your experiences as well.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,941 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

You might ask on the Ambergriscaye.com board.

ambergriscaye.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/

Even if that isn't where you are moving, the info will be the same. Lots of expats post on that board who have brought their dogs to Belize with them.

Warkworth, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

Thanks! I will give it a shot.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

Its been a few years since Ive done this but generally, dogs are relatively easy, health cert from vet, rabies vaccination records, etc. (want some real paper work fun try parrots!)

Check with Continental Airlines, of the major airlines they are one of the few that takes pets and in fact they have very good animal transport services.

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

Contact BAHA in Belize for a simple permit. Airlines have black out dates for dogs traveling in cargo during warmer weather.

Central America
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

BAHA's page re importing animals.

http://www.baha.bz/animal_health.html

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

A friend of mine lives in San Pedro and told me that all you need is up to date vet vaccination papers to bring your dog to Belize. We live in Muskoka, and are thinking about moving to Belize as well, (in the next few years) We are in our mid and late 40's went to San Pedro last year and loved it, going back this year. Good luck with your move. I would love to hear about it and how you did your research etc.

Good on you for taking the plunge!!

Jen

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,865 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

Right, along with BAHA paperwork the vet has to sign

North Hollywood...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

Hi there,

I'm not 100% sure what the requirements are to import your pet to Belize, but I work for a veterinary office in the states, so I may know where you can start. I would contact the Belizean consulate and let them know you have a dog and needed to acquire the proper documents. If there is a Canada Dept. of Agriculture, you can try looking on there too. In the US, all countries requirements to animal import is listed on the US Dept. of Ag website, so I would think it's similar. Find out as soon as possible though because some countries require certain vaccines, microchips, testing, etc to be done and documented in a certain amount of time AND in a certain order, so you want to find out if Belize has requirements like so.

9. Re: Moving with our dog to Belize

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 05:16