We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize car rental versus cab transport

Which Belize City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palmdale, California
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Belize car rental versus cab transport

Hello, I am travelling with my family of four for the first time to Belize for a week. We want to travel to Cayo -San Ignacio to see the ATM caves etc. We would like to rent a car, but I am little worried about how safe and how convenient it will be. Are there road signs, and is it safe to drive at night? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize car rental versus cab transport

You can rent a car but you have to know that to get into a cave a guide is require esp. the ATM and they are work for a tour company. You can explore and visit Mayan Sites and rainforest, rio cave and pine forest and waterfall on your own. You also need to know that car rental are expensive in Belize. Our country is really safe than our neighbor country. Signs to the different attraction are well mark so you shouldn't have any problem.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize car rental versus cab transport

We haven't chosen to rent a car during our 3 trips to Belize - it really depends on what your plans are. You could consider a private shuttle from the airport to San Ignacio, then local tours like ATM, maybe a 1 day car rental, then a bus or bus/boat on to your next location. Have a great trip, whatever you decide!

British Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belize car rental versus cab transport

My husband and I are also going to Belize for the first time this Nov. and were wondering what is the best tour company for the zip lining, cave tubing and also we are hoping to find a tour to Tikal ruins in Guatemala. Any suggestions on these?

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,761 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize car rental versus cab transport

Best for full day cave tubing and zip line is Cave Branch, but there are other zip lines in other areas of Belize and other caves trips, but cave tubing only along Caves Branch River.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,860 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize car rental versus cab transport

penhead - How long will you be in Belize and where are you planning to stay? If you haven't decided that yet, what is your general budget? Kids in tow? Those things make a difference in terms of what we recommend for tours.

Los Cristianos...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Belize car rental versus cab transport

As for the tikal tour sorry I cant help there..but I highly recommend vivtours.com in belize for the cave and zipline tour..their tubes are new and are safe..we didnt carry our tubes along the trail and the guides are highly trained and knowledgeable...I had a wonderful time with them. They are also very reasonable compared to others.

7. Re: Belize car rental versus cab transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2014, 06:20