We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I really need a guide?

Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Do I really need a guide?

I'm an experienced traveler. Constantly aware of my surroundings. I've studied my maps. I have gps, and good jeep, shovel, etc. Do I really need a guide? Further, I've read there was some issue with bandits on the Caracol road some time ago. Are there still armed convoys leaving Douglas Da Silva at 9am? Are bandits still a threat? Obviously there is crime (ie: theft at Rio on Pools in the parking lot). Please give me the straight info??

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
1,348 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I really need a guide?

A guide can give you a lot of information about what you are seeing, etc.

But as far as doing the convoy thingy, personally I would never bother with it. You pass through a Belize Army outpost, when you sign in and sign back out later, and the convoy does give them something to do, but that's about it.

The story was that bandits from Guatemala macheted their way through miles of jungle on the odd chance that they would encounter a vehicle loaded with rich tourists. Allegedly they highjacked a car load of tour guides heading to Caracol and took all their money. The Army did a search and couldn't find anyone, nor could they find any signs that it happened. Could be they lost their paychecks gambling and running the bars and they needed a story to tell their wives?

Mentioned in this post
Guatemala
Guatemala
Central America
Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I really need a guide?

There were some nasty incidents on the road to Caracol, but, they were several years ago. I think that's when the convoys started.

A quick Google search pulled up this article. This wasn't the only incident.

edition.channel5belize.com/archives/9339

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I really need a guide?

You do not need a guide, except for caves like Barton Creek, ATM, and Caves Branch. You could easily do Caracol on your own with your own vehicle. MPR is why I own a vehicle. You can actually see 4 or 5 sites in one day with no rushing.

The convoy is still there. I haven't heard about any problems in years. I tell friends to take the convoy in, mostly so they get up early and can see all the sights, and then leave whenever they are ready. Yeah, it's 2012, and petty crime is rampant everywhere, but that issue has been resolved.

Enjoy MPR!

Mentioned in this post
Caves Branch
Caves Branch
Cayo, Belize
belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,361 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I really need a guide?

A good guide will provide insight into the natural history, geology, botany, social history of Belize and their eyes will see what yours are not trainned to and point out birds and other creatures you would have otherwise have missed. If that interests you, a guide will enhance your visit and experience.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
Wilmington, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I really need a guide?

Katie, Dr., Jean, Avian,

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

If you EVER need info on North Carolina, please look me up!

Scott

Mentioned in this post
North Carolina
North Carolina
United States
6. Re: Do I really need a guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:41