We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stay at table rock or black rock?

boson, ma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
stay at table rock or black rock?

i am making headway in planning my 3+ week snorkel belize extravaganza - thanks for everyones help! next question: i want to take 4 days off in the middle to stay in cayo. I am in my 40's and travelling solo. i am mainly interesting in water type trips in the jungle - tubing, river caves, waterfalls, etc... (not hard core hiking or ruins). what are the pluses and minuses of TR and BR? hard to choose between the 2! i stayed in blacenaux last year but didn't do any of the tours and while it was BREATHTAKINGLY gorgeous - need to stay someplace less expensive this time around.... thanks!!!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stay at table rock or black rock?

Both are great. TRL is closer to the excursions that you mentioned. BRL is very close to the Belize Botanic Gardens, and the Natural History Museum, and Xunantunich. Not to get off topic, but if you're alone, to save some money, you might check out Chaa Creek's Macal River Camp. You'd get to do the NHM and their butterfly farm, and many other things free.

I recommend John Chuc from Kin Winik Tours for MPR. He does a 6 stop day tour. I just recently did that with him, and it was supreme. Belize Magnificent Tours is amazing too, especially for ATM and the Mountain Cow cave(which I find way nicer than ATM). If you're here 3 weeks, why not a week in Cayo?

Have fun!

boson, ma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stay at table rock or black rock?

good tips, thanks! my snorkeling card is long - usual AC places, Northern Atoll, Glover's Reef, Sadipolla, Snake Cayes.... so at the most 5 full days available for cayo... i'm probably not going to do ATM; which do you think the best cave tubing tour is? (mostly in the tube - not goo much hiking). i am defiinely doing at least one cave tubing tour and the MPR tour.....

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stay at table rock or black rock?

Ian Anderson's Caves Branch has the best tubing, and it'll be on your way to the south part of the country. I love the Saps; great snorkeling there.

Caracol can be done with MPR on the same day.

boson, ma
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stay at table rock or black rock?

thanks - i keep trying to save $$$ - but its looking like i'll be staying at ian anderson's treehouse..... i have literally barely not gone out to eat since i came back from belize & among employed multiple other penny pinching strategies - saving all my coin to go back..... ha ha - dreaming about belize.... ;-D

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stay at table rock or black rock?

There are lodging options and tree houses that are a fraction of the cost, if you have a really small hotel budget. CB is beautiful though, and you are right there for cave tubing. They have amazing cheese too; we buy their line of cheese whenever we see it. In fact, as I write, they are having a Cheese in Belize package for their guests that want to learn how to make artisan cheeses.

scoop.it/t/best-of-san-ignacio-cayo/p/399513…

Edited: 28 January 2013, 03:49
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stay at table rock or black rock?

If you are trying to save money maybe check out Parrots Nest at Bullet Tree Falls. Haven't been there yet but have my eye on it for our trip later in the year. Plenty of good reviews.

In the end it all depends on what level of luxury you want. Some of the places regularly recommended here look great, but for me are more than what I would usually pay for accommodation.

7. Re: stay at table rock or black rock?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 07:17