We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Herman's cave/Blue Hole National park---unsafe???????

Sassari, Italy
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
St. Herman's cave/Blue Hole National park---unsafe???????

In the website for Cayo Adventure Tours, the description of St Herman's cave includes the following statement:

"Tip before you embark on this adventure, ensure that you lock your car and leave someone on guard (for saftey reasons). An armed guard and more wardens have been hired to prevent further theft and assaults as well."

What's up with that?? Is Blue Hole National Park unsafe?????????

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
610 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Herman's cave/Blue Hole National park---unsafe???????

My friends and I visited the Blue Hole last December. Our guide never mentioned anything about security risks. The place seemed very peaceful. Well, I think it's not one of these WOW places. We only decided to stop there as it was on the way back from our day trip from Xunantunich to Placencia. The blue hole wasn't even so blue that day. And we didn't go to the cave.

Unless you're staying in the area, you may be better off visiting a different spot, for example Lamani Mayan temples. That's my personal opinion.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,997 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Herman's cave/Blue Hole National park---unsafe???????

We loved visiting there in 2003, walked over from Caves Branch Lodge where we were staying at the time. I've read on the forums over the years about thefts from cars parked there and at least once about someone being mugged but not hurt while hiking between Blue Hole and St. Herman's Cave. That was maybe 4 years ago? Haven't heard of any problems since, perhaps due to the increased security.

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
280 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Herman's cave/Blue Hole National park---unsafe???????

Haven't heard of any problems there at all either. The area always seems very quiet and safe

4. Re: St. Herman's cave/Blue Hole National park---unsafe???????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2014, 04:17