We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in August

Which Belmopan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
austin,texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in August

We are going to Belize in August. Having made all the reservations, I am concerned my family will be miserable in August in a jungle lodge without air conditioning. We are a pretty hardy lot, but need to be able to sleep at night. I am concerned that Belize's beauty and great adventures could be over shadowed by tired , hot and grumpy travellers. Has anyone ever stayed in August? What is the weather like and can one sleep without A/C?

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in August

We visited as a family (kids were 17, 18, and 20) for 3-4 weeks in July/August 2003 and it was really hot and muggy; as we stepped off the plane and descended the steps to the tarmac it felt like you had to have faith just to breath in the air it seemed so laden with water. We got used to feeling sweaty a lot and most nights slept pretty well - we never had ac and sometimes no electricity in the places we stayed. It rained almost exclusively at night which served to cool things off a bit. We found the heat to be part of the adventure but really worked at keeping hydrated. One son never really got used to it but was a good sport. On the plane home he announced to us that he'd decided to be an exchange student for the year between high school and college. When it came time to name country preferences his were all cool or cold places; he ended up in Holland.

We returned for another 3-4 weeks in August 2009. It was not quite as hot and muggy; it barely rained at all. We did have ac a few places and used it.

We're heading back this August for ~3 weeks and will split between really rustic/limited elec and places with ac (more of the former).

I think you'll be fine. If you're kids are small you'll have to be especially careful if it's really hothot. If they're older they can take on most of the responsibility for hydrating and cooling themselves, just be sure to talk about it ahead so they're expectations are in line with reality. Really, the climate is part of the adventure! Have a wonderful trip!

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in August

August is hot, and one of my favourite times of year. I live here and don't have a/c and generally don;t use it even if it is available when I'm travelling. Being hot is a nice feeling - think of snuggling by a fire, and some of the discomfort comes from mental attitude - just relax and soak it up rather than keep thinking how hot you are. Having said that, here are some cooling tips.

1. Fans. Ask for stand fans if the resort doesn't supply them in your room they will probably have spares, and put one right next to your bed - close to your face. Take good earplugs so the noise isn't disturbing. A Spanish style fan that can pop into your bag can be useful - very popular in church here.

2. Sheet. Always sleep covered by at least a sheet, which will mop up sweat and make you feel more comfortable, also prevents the odd mossie bit.

3. Sweating is good - natures way of cooling you down. Drink warm liquids like mint tea as well as ice cold. Water and tea are the most thirst quenching things to drink, sodas, though enticing, actually can make you thirsty. Don't forget to up your salt intake too.

4. Stay out of the sun. Sounds like a no brainer, but watch local people moving from shade to shade, while visitors walk and sit in the sun.

5. Wear loose cotton clothing in preference to t shirts and jeans. Technical (sport type) clothing is best of all if you ar jungle walking. Also hats with an all round brim. And silk is a lovely fabric for the tropics, also packs up small. A silk shell (sleeveless blouse) is one of my favourite things to wear when it's really hot.

6. Don't be afraid to siesta in the heat of the day.

I am sure you will have a cool time!

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in August

Stay in the Mtn Pine Ridge where overnight temps are more comfortable. Or in town on the edge of the jungle in a hotel with a/c. There are a few jungle lodges with a/c.

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
10,840 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in August

Some great advice above! We swear by the high tech, wicking fabrics. Keep in mind that some clothes with "wicking" tags are cheap knock-offs and wear like plastic. As a rule of thumb, anything that REI sells is a good brand:

www.rei.com

They're spendy but have great sales. I also like shopping at these online outlets (after I've researched REI and know what brands to consider):

www.rei-outlet.com

www.campmor.com

www.sierratradingpost.com

Happy trails!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in August

Texas is much much hotter in August than Belize. Sometimes a little more humid, and sometimes not. Rarely do we need more than a fan. Being on the river does help.

6. Re: Weather in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2015, 17:15
Get answers to your questions about Belmopan