We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belize City to Belmopan to Hopkins - Should I rent a car?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Belize City to Belmopan to Hopkins - Should I rent a car?

I have been weighing the pros and cons of buses, taxis, shuttles, etc. We will be landing in Belize City and need transportation to Belmopan, then to Hopkins and back to Belize City over the course of a week.

Is a rental car the way to go here? I would like to stay within a reasonable budget, but do not want the inconvenience of numerous bus or taxi transfers.

Thanks for any input!

The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
11,232 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belize City to Belmopan to Hopkins - Should I rent a car?

We've never been tempted to rent a car in Belize, preferring public buses with shuttles and taxis to fill in when the bus schedules don't work for us. From the airport you can taxi to the bus station, then bus to Belmopan; not sure how close your lodging is from there - either another bus or a taxi. Belmopan to Hopkins is a little tricky; the buses go regularly to Dangriga but only a few times/day to Hopkins, same with the return. If you aren't comfortable with all the pieces that way, then maybe you should consider renting.

Lots of great transport info here:

www.belizebus.wordpress.com

Happy trails!

San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belize City to Belmopan to Hopkins - Should I rent a car?

There are express buses to Belmopan from BC. The cars are quite expensive, so if you don't mind an extra hour or so, the buses are the way to go. That Belize Bus Blog is a great source of info.

3. Re: Belize City to Belmopan to Hopkins - Should I rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:32
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belize City to Belmopan to Hopkins - Should I rent a car?

I just drove last night from Belize airport to Belmopan. No problems. It gets dark here early, and many speed bumps( ped crossing) for the bus stops. Be mindful of them. Also not a lot of street light, and poor signage along the way. Make sure to have it mapped out before you come.

Hopkins
Level Contributor
782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belize City to Belmopan to Hopkins - Should I rent a car?

If you are traveling solo, consider flying. Whether or not you want a car in Hopkins depends on what you are doing; if you will be on the beach or in the water a lot, it is not worth it. If you want to visit a number of nearby sites: Cockscomb, Mayflower, Garifuna museum, Maya Center, Marie Sharps are all about 30 minutes away by car, much longer by bus and just as expensive by taxi as to rent a car for the day. There is an auto rental in Hopkins.

6. Re: Belize City to Belmopan to Hopkins - Should I rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Belmopan