We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

Can someone recommend activities for 3 days near San Ignacio? We are staying at Blancaneaux but have heard that it is better to arrange tours on our own rather than through the hotel. Will the tour guides pick us up at Blancaneaux? Or should we rent a car? What is better, Tikal or closer ruins? Everyone seems to recommend the ATM tours, but it is a little offputting to me to be motoring through such pristine jungle. What is better between ATM and Cave tubing? Thanks for the help.

Mentioned in this post
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Blancaneaux Lodge
Blancaneaux Lodge
484 Reviews
Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve, Belize
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
707 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

Hi Kkotcher

The ATM cave was great. I can't recall any part of it as involving motoring through pristine jungle. The drive in is on dirt road through fruit plantations. The walk is through nice jungle. The cave hike is quite amazing.

As far as whether to arrange tours on your own or go through the hotel, it may well be the same tour company either way. You could check prices to see if there's markup going through the hotel.

San Diego
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Could you let me know who your tour operator was and if you'd recommend him/her? Thanks,

kkotcher

belize
Destination Expert
for Belize, Placencia, Ambergris Caye, Cayo, San Ignacio
Level Contributor
7,370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

pacztours@btl.net

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

Hi I would recommend both Tikal and the ATM tours both are amazing. We stayed at the San Ignacio Hotel and they organised the trip to Tikal for the ATM trip we used the local Bar/restaurant Eva where you can organise all local tours we also did a horseback ride up to Xuantunich which was lovely and quiet a lot of local families spend time here on the weekends. I would stick with a tour as the roads aren't very good especially after some heavy rain. If I had one to do over again it would be Tikal a truely amazing place.

Mentioned in this post
Tikal National Park
Tikal National Park
Peten Department, Guatemala
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
Hoi An, Vietnam
Level Contributor
858 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

We did the ATM tour with Pacz and it was seriously one of the best experiences ever. The whole day was awesome, with surprises popping up everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Pacz Tours
Pacz Tours
499 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
546 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

ATM and Tikal are a must. Use Pacz. Bob will set it up for you. Cave tubing is for little kids.

On ATM trip you will drive on a country road for about 30 min and then hike through the jungle for another 45. Stop on the way and steal some oranges.

There ruins closer to San Ignacio. Yet, Tikal is, in my view, more spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Tikal National Park
Tikal National Park
Pacz Tours
Pacz Tours
499 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
San Ignacio, Belize
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

I actually think that Jaguar Paw's cave tubing is way neater than Tikal. And definitely not for kids. You have pitch black tubing, and can also hike back in the Crystal cave for a while, examining Mayan pottery on the way. Very neat. If Tikal hadn't just tripled their entry fee, I might recommend it, but Caracol is better, and has a much more massive temple(although not as high)

I'd only use Pacz Tours. They actually got a good write up a week ago amidst many immoral tour agencies in San Ignacio. The tell all article is on page 7 at: http://belizenews.com/thestar/cayostar148.pdf

Have a wild and jungly vacation!

Mentioned in this post
Tikal National Park
Tikal National Park
Crystal Cave
Crystal Cave
73 Reviews
Belmopan, Belize
Pacz Tours
Pacz Tours
499 Reviews
San Ignacio, Belize
San Ignacio
San Ignacio
Cayo, Belize
8. Re: San Ignacio trip-- what activities for a 3 day stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 04:17