We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Martha's Guesthouse

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Martha's Guesthouse

My husband and I have a reservation for The First Lady's Suite at Martha's next month (March 2009.) Is there A/C? Or is it comfortable at night w/ fans (there are fans, aren't there?) Also... I keep reading reviews about noise; how bad is it from this suite?

Thank you!

Unitedville, Belize
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Martha's Guesthouse

You will love the First Lady Suite. No A/C. At least there wasn't the last time we stayed there. There are standing fans and you can leave the sliding doors and windows open.

The noise has never bothered us when we stayed there. There are barking dogs, sometimes you can hear the music from bars.

But you will hear all that no matter which town or village you are in.

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Martha's Guesthouse

Thank you. We live in rural Vermont (where it's 18 degrees right now!) so we're accustomed to cooler, quieter living but it sounds like we'll be fine with a fan and the open door. We're going to visit our son who is taking classes at Galen University this semester... will be happy just to spend a week with him!

Belmopan, Belize
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Martha's Guesthouse

Hi GMMom,

I noticed that in your previous post you asked about a bus from the airport to San Ignacio.

If you are arriving at the international airport, i'm sorry to let you know that there are no buses directly from the airport. The reason is that the airport is about a mile and a half off the "northern highway" and about 8 miles from Belize City.

You would have to get a cab from the airport to the bus terminal in Belize City. From there you can then get the regular or express bus all the way to San ignacio.

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Martha's Guesthouse

Thank you. I'm inclined to have a shuttle from Martha's pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the Guesthouse in San Ignacio... it's no more expensive than 1 day's car rental + gas. We'll rent a car in San Ignacio for 4 days (we're going to Hopkins for the weekend) and catch the Express Bus back to the airport the following Wednesday. Do you know if the bus is luggage friendly? Reliable? I guess we'll have to take a taxi from the bus stop in Belize City to the airport... right? I am a little nervous about time; our flight departs ~ 12:30pm.

Belmopan, Belize
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Martha's Guesthouse

Thank you. I'm inclined to have a shuttle from Martha's pick us up at the airport and deliver us to the Guesthouse in San Ignacio... it's no more expensive than 1 day's car rental + gas. We'll rent a car in San Ignacio for 4 days (we're going to Hopkins for the weekend) and catch the Express Bus back to the airport the following Wednesday. Do you know if the bus is luggage friendly? Reliable? I guess we'll have to take a taxi from the bus stop in Belize City to the airport... right? I am a little nervous about time; our flight departs ~ 12:30pm.

Yes. Taking a shuttle provided by your hotel always saves on all the hassle.

Inquire at the bus stop in San Ignacio about the Express bus schedule. On the express, luggage should be no problem. If you end up taking the "regular", keep in mind that these buses stop in every village along the way. So, as with public transportation anywhere, just be sure to keep an eye on it. All of these buses have an extra person/worker aside from the driver, who assists with your luggage and also collects.

When at the bus terminal in B/City, Cab Drivers will be clamouring to get your business.

concerning your travel time. typically, the bus to B/City is around 1 hour 45 min to 2 hours on the outside. Then the cab ride to the airport, around half hour on the outside. So, taking a 7am or 8am bus will get you there with plenty of time to spare.

hope this helps. also, if you'd like some help with making the most of your drive to, and the weekend in hopkins, let us know where you'll be staying and what you are thinking of doing while there. I'm sure we can make suggestions to enhance your weekend.

Belmopan, Belize
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Martha's Guesthouse

Whoa!!!! So, so sorry about that! I copied your last post so I would have it handy while answering, but neglected to delete those portions.

This is what I should have done: (grrr!) ....(at myself) hehehehe

Yes. Taking a shuttle provided by your hotel always saves on all the hassle.

Inquire at the bus stop in San Ignacio about the Express bus schedule. On the express, luggage should be no problem. If you end up taking the "regular", keep in mind that these buses stop in every village along the way. So, as with public transportation anywhere, just be sure to keep an eye on it. All of these buses have an extra person/worker aside from the driver, who assists with your luggage and also collects.

When at the bus terminal in B/City, Cab Drivers will be clamouring to get your business.

concerning your travel time. typically, the bus to B/City is around 1 hour 45 min to 2 hours on the outside. Then the cab ride to the airport, around half hour on the outside. So, taking a 7am or 8am bus will get you there with plenty of time to spare.

hope this helps. also, if you'd like some help with making the most of your drive to, and the weekend in hopkins, let us know where you'll be staying and what you are thinking of doing while there. I'm sure we can make suggestions to enhance your weekend.

7. Re: Martha's Guesthouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 11:24