We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need more help with trip to Belize Please

Utah
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need more help with trip to Belize Please

Couple more questions. Due to problems with my birth certificate our new passports will not be here in time for our trip on June 22, so we are now looking at July 19 thru July 30. Is that still going to be a good time for me and my two son's (19 & 21)to travel in Belize? What is the rain usually like during that time?

Also, if we rent a car then do they need my credit card or will a debit card work? How much $ do they usually authorize on your credit card until you bring back the car? Does the car have to go back to the same place and city where you get it? Will my auto insurance at home be good, according to my policy it is, or should I purchase rental insurance from the rental company?

How much money to bring for 3 people for 10 days, not including trip? Do I bring all cash or use my credit card, debit card or bring travelers checks? Are there cambios to cash travelers checks?

What kind of shoes to bring? Should we bring something like "tevas" and hiking boots or just "teva" type shoes? Any suggestions on what kind of shoes for hiking, cave tubing, etc would really be great!

I am sure I will have more questions so thanks for baring with me here.

Sindy

Placencia, Belize
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need more help with trip to Belize Please

June and July offer similar weather, July can be dryer than June, but we have weather, not climate, and nothing is fixed. However, mostly the rain falls at night or in short sharp showers. Don;t worry about it it is very unlikely to spoil your holiday.

Car rental is available here of course, but often from small local companies, and rent it here leave it there is either non existant or very expensive. I would consider using buses, planes or taxis to get around, might be cheaper and more convenient in the long run, but it does depend on your plans of course.

Shoes depend on what your are planning, if you are going into the jungle, and have hiking boats I would bring them. For cave tubing I think the teva type shoes should work, or even crocs.

I would bring travelers checks for your main expenses like hotels (check in advance and pay by credit card if they take them, most big places do). Don't expect to find an atm on every corner except in AC, Placencia and the main part of the city. Bring cash in small denomiations, US$ are excepted everywhere without exception at a rate of 2BZ to 1US. No-one makes a distinction between debit and credit cards that I have noticed, I use both, but only in the city and at gas stations. Here in the south most places don't accept them.

The amount of money to bring depends entirely on what you plan to do and where you plan to stay. If you eat local, budget around $US25 per day per person to include a few sodas and beers.

2. Re: Need more help with trip to Belize Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 December 2009, 06:29